• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper design

nochance9

NAXJA Forum User
I've been designing my own front bumper and would like to know what you guys think about it.. And if there would be any changes or tips you have to give i'd love to hear it. So here's a few pictures...

This is the one i like best, and that's just a bottom view at the bottom. The weird boxes cut out of the bottom of the bumper are going to be places to skick a handyman if the need arises, i thought it was a good idea anyway.

th_100_1601.jpg

This is more my original idea... (And yes i notices there are 8 slats in my grille :p)

th_100_1603.jpg

Kinda a side view... I wanted to make the bottom of the bumper go straight into my front skid, so this is the same slope and everything so it will match up well, in theory at least. i don't know for sure how far to bring back the sides either.

th_100_1604.jpg

This is just the original without the jeep behind it, and also another side view in the corner.

th_100_1605.jpg

That's it, i've never done this kind of thing before and i'm really excited to be designing it myself and cant wait to make it! Love to hear your imput, and please don't hold back.

100_1601-1.jpg

That's why i went to the straight bar design.

100_1601-1.jpg

100_1603.jpg

100_1604.jpg

100_1605.jpg

Sorry, learning how to use photobucket...

I like it, looks alot like what i'm tryin to do lol. But i'm never going to have a winch so.... yeah. Just don't think i'll ever need one and i'd rather put the money somewhere else on my rig. But i'm not going to lie, winch bumpers and jeeps with winches look killer to me. But that's not enough for me to go buy one lol.

Haha i wish!! Any tips for the D ring mounts? or anything?

IMHO, most important part of designing a bumper are the attachment/tie-ins monuts for the frame. i didnt see any design specs for them, maybe im missed them.

Nice design, wish I could draw like that! Did you do it freehand?

If it were me, and I was building a bumper for function as well as looks, I'd look towards how the OEM and aftermarket address reinforcement of the front rails for recovery. As an example of what Jeep used, check out http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...Product_Code=RR-TH11-XJ&Category_Code=rec_hit (not necessarily to buy, but to see how the brackets tie into extra places along the framerail to distribute the forces encountered in off-roading recovery.

Here's an excellent example of how an aftermarket manufacturer uses extra plating & tie-in locations for a stout bumper & lift/winch/pull protection. http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php (personally, when I get more cash together I'm going for one of these...)

Hopefully these piccies will help, and give you some extra ideas.

:)

IMHO, most important part of designing a bumper are the attachment/tie-ins mounts for the frame. i didnt see any design specs for them, maybe im missed them.

oops, i didnt mean to repost. i went to edit spelling and screwed up

Your frame rail reinforcement and tie in brackets should look like these - http://www.jcroffroad.com/xjuniframe.html -. Extend the frame rail brackets beyond the front face of the bumper far enough so they are also your D-ring mounts. To be safe and secure, D-ring mounts should be extensions of the frame brackets and should be welded to both the front and back side of the bumper.

Looks good but fairly complex. Are you planning on making it? I assume this is not your first build of this nature.?.

Haha i wish!! Any tips for the D ring mounts? or anything?
Extenend your framerail mounts throught the face of the bumper and then add whatever thickness of d ring mount to that(like 1/2"+ the 1/4" frame mount plate)

I didn't free hand it just used a ruler a pencil and markers lol. And this is my first build but i'm going to take a welding class at the community colege and i've got lots of friends and family that are all excited to help me out. So as far as the frame mounts, when i got my tow hooks i made a cardboard template of the mounts so that's covered. And for the extending the mounts through the front the front, That's the red outlined thing in the half jeep drawing... Kinda hard to tell. But i will for sure check out those links and start thinking about frame renforcement plates! Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Back