• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Can Laws in SoCal?

EazyXJWJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im putting a "Jerry Can" gas can in the rear next to the spare tire (outside). Is there any laws in SoCal. Do i have to put a "flammable" sticker or something? thanks.

The gas can MUST be red and say gasoline on it.. freash water is blue..
jack2.jpg

Last edited:
It also has to be a certified no spil can. The cans people use for dirtbikes with the long tube at the top are out-lawed now .I Know a few that have been pulled over by the CHP for having them in on their tailor.

Again..... I might be off, but I believe it's legal to own one as long as you have had it for a while (and it's grandfathered) though I would read through the penal code before arguing that point with a cop ;) (and even then I wouldn't argue if he does not agree, but rather present your case in front of the judge).

My can's are green, and while they say something, its in (iirc) Hebrew and not something most people are going to read while they are driving.

I've never been hassled over them. I think technically green is a diesel can, but it hasn't been an issue.

I have searched and searched, and found nothing to the actual mounting and transport of gasoline in what are refered to as "portable fuel containers" or pfc's....

Everything I found pertained only to the new CARB rules/emissions or the commercial transport of flammable liquids...

I mounted mine very similar to how you are wanting to mount yours and I have had no problems. I got my can at harbor freight and it does not say gas or flamable anywhere on the can. It's simply red.

" if fuel is to be carried externally on a vehicle it must be in a OSHA and CARB approved container designed to limit the speed at which the fuel may flow out of the container. A fire extinguisher approved by the state fire marshal for fighting liquid fuel fires must be carried in close proximity to the fuel can to facilitate dousing of any flames that may occur. The vehicle must display a hazardous materials placard identifying the type of fuel. The container must be painted red and marked "fuel" in letters at least 3" high and in a color sufficiently contrasted to be visible for 100' from the vehicle. A permit issued by the county in which the vehicle is operated must be displayed conspicuously in the vehicle window to allow inspection by a law enforcement officer."

Psych...:D

Back