• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA Drop Brackets, anyone used them?

93gc40

NAXJA Forum User
Considering Control arm drop brackets, either Rough Country, RE or Trailmaster, are there others? Opinion?

I want to make the ride less harsh for highway driving, a little more articulation can't hurt. My 96 with 5.5"front/3.5" rear lift, stock arms. It sees 80% highway, and mostly forest trails for off-road, a few rocks but nothing heavy. Don't need long-arm, and from what I understand, short arms are better on the pavement.

yes sire running the rough country brackets. helped alot with the angles. you can see them in this photo. mine are modified.
DSC03661.jpg

Not to Hi-jack this thread, but I'm piecing together a 4.5" lift and was wondering if I would be able to use these with the stock arms or would I have to buy new Control arms. I did a search and didn't find any useful information on this topic.

Not to Hi-jack this thread, but I'm piecing together a 4.5" lift and was wondering if I would be able to use these with the stock arms or would I have to buy new Control arms. I did a search and didn't find any useful information on this topic.

nope you need new control arms.

nope you need new control arms.

my first jeep had a trailmaster 4 inch lift on it with stock uppers and lowers, with the drop brackets because at about 4 inches or so and drop brackets the lenght is about same. Now of course they probably wont hold up to heavy trail use but i dnt think new lowers are completly neccesary.
but i guess it depends on what your using your jeep for.

RC's here. For what you want they should do the job nicely. I can see getting hung up trying to back off a rock or something if the obstacle is behind the mount, but it hasn't happened to me "yet". For the use that you describe they will be an impressive improvement! The reduced CA angles greatly improve the ride and I even noticed a bit less road noise transmitted. I run allot of FS roads and trails myself and the ride and handling on that type of surface is outstanding.

Good investment!

Doug

p1010124.jpg

Yes you can reuse the stock control arms with a control arm relocation bracket. The kit is designed so that it RELOCATES the arms at a lower position thereby bringing back the stock control arm geometry. When you lift WITHOUT compensating for this, the CA's are at a steeper angle which must be compensated for by either longer CA's or a relocation bracket.

IMO, trailmaster was ahead of it's time 14 or so years ago when they originally came up with this idea; it just took the others a while to catch up

YMMV,

John

the RE brackets may be a little more , But I think the braces are worth it. The RE braces can be made to fit easily with the Trailmaster brackets. All mine were bought hereon :NAXJA: or JU. I am a cheap a$$, but well worth it the difference on the freeway is night and day. And Fullsize XJ on here has good prices and great customer service

Dan at loose nuts also has damn good deals on RE stuff.
I'm just now finishing the install of my RE6200 kit that uses the RE DB and their arms and man they are STOUT! The support used is like no one else out there, well worth the price for the performance and support.

I was wondering what do the rc braces tie into? Are they just factory bolts? How strong it this because I wanted to make some braces for my re dbs.

I was wondering what do the rc braces tie into? Are they just factory bolts? How strong it this because I wanted to make some braces for my re dbs.

They don't really tie into anything. They use self tapping bolts and screw into the frame. If I used those I'd almost be inclined to weld them to the frame so the braces don't come loose. The RE brackets cost more, but they ezxtend back and tie into the stock crossmember. They are more of a pain to install, but worth it in my opinion. I'm sure the RC ones would work fine as a cheaper option for some.

Yeah I might just make my own that hit the trans crossmember like the re ones do.

To answer your question.
I run RE drop brackets. I Have 10"x2.5" FOA's with, adjustable RE uppers, Fixed RE lowers, 4.5 RE coils with 2" spacers, and I love the way it rides.

I agree!! I bought RC drops brackets and it has totally changed the ride characteristics of my XJ. Get some and you WILL NOT regret it! I wish I would have put some on sooner...

Regards,
Tony

Back