• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgraded headlights again...FINALLY [with pics!]

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have a similar setup in my trail rig for some time, that is until a f*&%ing Walmart battery decided to go bezerk and kill my relays on my BigOffroad Headlight harness and thus killing my Narva Bulbs.

The new setup, now on the DD:

*Transferred BOR Headlight harness from trail rig to DD
*Hella 130/90W bulbs :D
*Hella E-Code headlight housings

2hdbm29.jpg

Now I'll get to some pictures, but I don't have any before pics to compare with.

Low Beams:
301lyjo.jpg

High Beams:
dh5t6q.jpg

Low Beams:
2zrdpbk.jpg

High Beams:
xaw589.jpg

Monet well spent I must say! :D

Holy Hell! A little much for a DD but if oncomming traffic doesn't complain...:eek:

I had 100/80 Narva Bulbs before these. The cutoff beam is nice and sharp, so oncoming traffic doesn't get much of anything, if they are aimed properly. I am willing to bet these with powerful bulbs are less disturbing to oncoming traffic then the crappy Silverstars that spread and light all over.

Those Hella E-Codes are nice housings, I swapped them into my XJ last month along with 100/70W IPF bulbs. Sadly, haven't been able to drive it much thanks to my engine issues.

I had 100/80 Narva Bulbs before these. The cutoff beam is nice and sharp, so oncoming traffic doesn't get much of anything, if they are aimed properly. I am willing to bet these with powerful bulbs are less disturbing to oncoming traffic then the crappy Silverstars that spread and light all over.

You don't have to sell me. I've been running Hella H4's for 12 years. I've never run higher than 100/80's though. For some reason, the Hella lenses take a lot of flak on this site. I'm not sure why. I've been running the original IPF lenses since 2001. I was originally sold on the supposedly thicker lense, which is helpful with the gravel they use during Colorado winters. It could be the bulbs, but I don't think my lenses are that sharp.

IPF also has a pretty nice cutoff for the low beams, here are shots last year using the 60/55W IPF glowring bulbs. both were shot about 15-20 feet from the wall.

IPF Low:
ipflow.jpg

IPF High:
ipfhigh.jpg

As you can see, a nice cutoff with the side riser for road signs/pedestrians. However, the pattern focuses more of the light straight ahead compared to the E-Codes. I think you get a little better range, but less to the sides. The E-Code high beam pattern is way better than the IPF high beam, that crosshatch stuff is annoying, although at a distance, it spreads out nicely looks like a wall of light (noticeable horizontal cutoff).

At any rate, either setup is far superior to a stock sealed beam system, stock Wagners or expensive Silverstars... I can't wait until my XJ is back on the road so I can enjoy my fancy new lights. :)

Back