• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" lift and 31's fairly capable offroad?

viperbluelx

NAXJA Forum User
I'm taking the XJ to Aetna for the first time on the 28th with a fairly big group and I'll have my 2-year old son with me so I just want to make sure this setup is fairly decent.

I have the 3" procomp lift and new 31" BFG A/T's. Obviously I won't be hitting any really rough stuff, but do 31's generally clear the stock fenders and flairs well with a 3" lift or do I need to install some extended bump stops before hitting the trails?

depends on the trail... you can do some pretty gnarly stuff with 3" and 31's, you would be suprised. Just watch your rear pumpkin if your crawling over any rocks, and TAKE YOUR TIME! I'd say, dont worry and stay cool on the trail... if your with other XJ's, you will always have a buddy to winch you out. Welcome to the fam.

I'm taking the XJ to Aetna for the first time on the 28th with a fairly big group and I'll have my 2-year old son with me so I just want to make sure this setup is fairly decent.

I have the 3" procomp lift and new 31" BFG A/T's. Obviously I won't be hitting any really rough stuff, but do 31's generally clear the stock fenders and flairs well with a 3" lift or do I need to install some extended bump stops before hitting the trails?

if you remove the front swaybar, i would increase the front bumpstops.

if you overcompress the passengerside front spring, the upper control arm can hit the transmission lines.

Yeah should be a lot of XJ's and obviously I won't be doing anything stupid with my son with me. I have tow hooks on the front and receiver hitch on the rear if I need to get pulled out I guess.

if you remove the front swaybar, i would increase the front bumpstops.

if you overcompress the passengerside front spring, the upper control arm can hit the transmission lines.

I don't have quick disconnects but I'd like to get some eventually. Should I remove it with hand tools when I get there and connect it back when I get back to the main road or just leave it on?

What's the best place to get some bump stops for the front and how do I know what size I need?

I don't have quick disconnects but I'd like to get some eventually. Should I remove it with hand tools when I get there and connect it back when I get back to the main road or just leave it on?

What's the best place to get some bump stops for the front and how do I know what size I need?

easier way would be to glue hockey pucks(about 2-3) onto the spring pad. if you remove the spring, you could bolt them dowm, but ive heard people have had success with just glue/epoxy.

I think that lift/tire combo should be pretty capable depending on which brands you choose. Don't try to go over any big rocks or anything without skids or diff covers. At 4.5" and 32's I bashed the hell out of the underside of my Jeep. I woulda been stuck on the trail if I still had a stock tie rod and lower control arms. If you are going on muddy trails through the woods or some smaller rocky trails, you should be golden.

For easy bumpstops, get hockey pucks and drill a hole in the middle. Then take out the spring and drill and tap a hole in the lower spring perch. You can even use a self tapping bolt here (the RE kit does with their bumpstops).

You should be okay without them just be careful.

Disco the swaybar and have a good ride.

Ditch the all-terrains and get some off-road tires. Leave the sway bar hooked up and put a locker in the front end. Then just lift a tire and pull with the tire on the ground. A locker in the front just takes a rig to a whole new level.

Hey man, I have done Aetna myself a couple of times and I have a 3" OME lift and 31's. I rubbed A LOT, so you will definitely need to bump stop for sure. Actually I broke my right bump stop last time I was up there if that tells you anything. Other than that, I didn't really encounter any problems except for thinking that I couldn't do what the big guys can....I proved myself wrong.

Took mine out the other night with 4 grown men in it and was climbing all over some STEEP 4' tall berms in mud and snow with no isses, and never bottomed out, even with odd approach and depart angles. That's with the front and rear swaybars still on and connected! Planning on going out again this weekend and will have video and pics. So far I am VERY impressed with this lil Jeep on 31's.

My last 4wd was a 78' K5 sitting on 38's and this is way more fun.

You gonna come follow us around on the 28th Jester?

I would really like too, but unfortunately that is the same day of Scion Rock Fest in Atlanta. Seeing lots of stoner metal/rock bands for FREE, so I can't pass that up...

3" and 31's will be fine. That is plenty capable for lots of stuff. Add some front bumpstop (hockey pucks work great) and you are set.

Thats the worst advice I think I have ever seen anyone give to the wheeling community.
Really?
So you prefer unbolting the sway And then bolting it back up each time he wheels? He doesn't have quick disconnects. He doesn't have extended bumpstops. He might not even have a longer sway bar or extended mounts for all I know. So I say spend $250 for an Aussie for the front and wheel it. Quick disconnects cost $100 or so. So I say get the locker first.

Cause I guaruntee you if we take his vehicle and I use a locker in the front and you just unhook the sway bar, I wheel outwheel you all day. Hands down.

Really?
So you prefer unbolting the sway And then bolting it back up each time he wheels? He doesn't have quick disconnects. He doesn't have extended bumpstops. He might not even have a longer sway bar or extended mounts for all I know. So I say spend $250 for an Aussie for the front and wheel it. Quick disconnects cost $100 or so. So I say get the locker first.

Disconnecting the front swaybar with hand tools takes like 5 minutes and costs nothing. Do it the first time in your garage since you might have to break the nuts loose, once you've done it the first time it's pretty painless. When my XJ was on 3" and 31s and I was too cheap to buy discos I did this all the time. It makes the Jeep much more capable and like I said it takes 5 minutes to do, 5 minutes when you are done.

But I don't disagree with you that an Aussie locker is the best bang-for-the-buck mod you can do. I put an Aussie in the front axle of my rig, and on 3" and 31s I was walking over obstacles that guys with huge tires, big lifts, and open diffs had trouble with.

I started wheeling with my dad in his XJ on 31's and a Pro Comp lift. We learned fairly quickly that disconnecting the front swaybar helped on trail runs. When we left the swaybar connected the back would flex way too much and rub on the wheelwells.

You will learn from experience which parts you need and what will need to be bumpstopped.

Back