• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Switch/Lock Cylinder

jeepdeez

NAXJA Forum User
I think I have a pretty good understanding of how to replace the parts but I can't seem to get past the shroud. I was wondering if anyone knew of a write-up or some type of info on this. I only see the seam where the shroud comes apart but nothing to release it and I would like to put it back together properly once removed. Thanks in advance!

Not sure what you mean by "can't get past the shroud". No need to mess with the shroud -- just remove the wheel and a couple other parts. Get back if you need more info.

Thanks....If my truck still starts but I've lost all power to my radio, turn signals, heat, etc. which one would it be that needs to be replaced. I can't get the puller until this weekend so I'm hoping the switch.

X2 - read the directions on the switch carefully, it will tell you which way to push on the switch body while holding down the key switch rod and tightening the mounting screws.

Yes, it does sound like you need three hands - but they did it out of car. All the preloading gets the switch timed to function correctly - AUX, lock, run, start. A quarter inch off and no start or run.

Along with a steering wheel puller you'll need the compressor to move the lock ring to get it off, and a pick or small screwdriver to remove the c-clip wire.

Been there done that. Still taking meds to grow a third hand, don't think it'll ever happen.

If the key works in all postions why pull the wheel? The ignition switch is easy, somewhere in the switch or the plug the brown wire is open. If you loosen the nuts that hold the steering wheel to the dash, it drops down and is not hard to do at all. Like an hour, you will spend more time taking the lower dash off and back on then actually working on the switch.

Return the key cylinder...

I'm just getting around to doing this job. I've been looking at it and I think the best way would be to drop the steering column. I should be able to just remove the column support bracket and work form there right. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Back