• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebrew shopping list questions

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
After reading a bunch of posts, and searching on homebrew lifts I decided I would try to build the most capable XJ, while not jeapordizing my membership of the cheap bastards club. I'm starting to put together a shopping list and have some questions. Eventually I may go with 33" tires (and I don't mind trimming), but for now, I'm going to use the 31 x 10.5 Firestone Destination MTs I already have.

The List
Coil Springs 4.5"
S-10 Bastard Packs
2" Bump Stops
Terraflex Revolver Shackles
Hack-n-Tap SYE
Ok, now for the questions:
What else am I missing?
Trac bar?
Upper & Lower control arms?
New drive shafts?
Anything that will prevent the vibes - I'm cheap but I want to do this right

Will the stock front sway bar be ok? (I'm want to do the homebrew quick discos on it)

Can I use my stock rims for the 31's and not have any rubbing issues? If I cant use them, it looks like everyone with 33s uses 4.75" backspacing, will this look weird with 31s?

Are the Terraflex revolvers worth it? Do I even need to buy shackels?

Any suggestions on coil springs? I've been told that F-250 coils will work, but they are not the best for ride or flex.

Oh, and don't worry about this being just another newb asking dumb questions who never follows through with the project. I'm a dumb newb who will put your suggestions to good use in about a week.

u r going to need lower control arms for sure, i have a 2 1/4" lift on mine and the lowers stop it from flexing all the way. There are some off another jeep that will fit(dont remember which jeep).

track bar - u will need a drop bracket or a specialized one.

drive shaft - yes new ones, or extented ones, watch the angles.

as for the bastard pack, u can use s-10, i actually used 78 chevy 3/4 ton springs(only 3 each side and 2 from original jeep leaves), i got 2 3/4" lift.

and the ford coil springs will ride a little rough, but it all depends on what u call ruff.

Look for MJ leaf springs. S10s will work. Lots of people use them. Lots of them in the yards. MJ leafs are thinner and flex more if you see both you will see what I mean. Old Ford Bronco 2s have thin ones too, but I never saw a pair worth a crap because they were old. S-10s and Dakotas are the same. They are all in the ball park and will work well, it's just if you come across a pair of good MJs use them. I got 4.5" out of my pack and they ride real nice.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm pretty comfortable on the bastard packs, as there are pleny of right-ups on them. Although it is funny how everyone gets a different amount of lift from them.

Jess & Jeepdude - thanks for the tips on the LCAs and DSs. I kinda figured I'd need em, but wanted to be sure.

YJ brake lines.

Ghost- Yeah, I should have put that on there

JeepDude - Excellent link. Thanks, this will help immensely.

Next time you put the word Homebrew in the subject, add suspension to it.....
www.hydrobrew.com

Back