• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i have a 3 1/2" lift and want another 3" what do i need?

Andrew92XJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok right now i have a 92 xj with a 3 1/2" lift (blocks & spacers) just wondering what all i will need to lift it another 3" i was thinking about getting either add a leafs or shackles for the rear and longer springs up front do i need to drop the t-case? slip yoke eliminator? control arms are a must but just wondering what i need. thanks

if you have 3" blocks in the rear, you'll prob. want to get rid of those. They can break leaf springs. And if you have 3.5" spacers up front, that's a lot. You might want to downsize those to 2" or something.

If you are looking for 6.5" lift total, I would prob. start fresh.

You are prob. better off just getting a complete 6.5" lift kit b/c you'll need a lot of stuff including: control arms upper and lower (long arm is best, but with short arm you'd prob. be better getting some drop brackets too), track bar, sye, cv driveshaft, lift coils, lift leaf packs and shackles, associated hardware, extended brake lines, etc.

IMO that is the right way to do it. However, you could piece it together using what you have, I would hesitate about it's durability, though.

Do it right the first time, (OK, the second since your or someone already spent money on the 3 inch lift you have now), get THIS or something similar and only buy/cry once. I got this kit, and the Woods CV shafts, SYE, Bilstein shocks, and wheels and tires and did it all at once. Yes it was expensive. Yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

If you want 6-6.5 inches of lift, and still have a very nice (often better than stock) ride, you will have to pay for it. There are ways to save a little change here and there, but its going to be expensive, plain and simple.

I learned a long time ago to do things right the first time, and it almost always makes life easier in the end. Just my opinion.

~James

ok right now i have a 92 xj with a 3 1/2" lift (blocks & spacers) just wondering what all i will need to lift it another 3" i was thinking about getting either add a leafs or shackles for the rear and longer springs up front do i need to drop the t-case? slip yoke eliminator? control arms are a must but just wondering what i need. thanks

at 6", you need to concider either long arms or control arm drop brackets.

a HD adjustable trackbar with bracket for mounting in double shear is also needed. at that height, an adjustable track bar with a TRE is not the best option.

going to 6" is not something to jump right into. IMO, you need to look at more than the lift height, you also need to look into steering, axles/gearing/lockers, tire size, brakes....

it sounds like what you have now is purely to boost the cosmetics of the rig. Ditch the blocks, and the huge spacers and start fresh.

Coils
Full leaf packs (4.5" with a shackle will work)
UCA and LCA's
Control arm drop brackets
(or Full long arm kit)
Brake lines
Swaybar endlinks
SYE/driveshaft

And since your looking at 6.5" your probably wanting 35" tires.. That means its most likely axle time..
If you have a dana35.. get rid of it asap.. Spruce up the Front dana 30 too... etc etc etc

your looking at atleast $1500 for that upgrade of 3", since your starting off with (no offense at all) Complete garbage of a lift kit.. :)

My lift started out with 3" coil spacers aswell.. they're junk and...gone

well thanks guys i think i'll just save up for a whole new lift kit i was thinking about a d44 swap somtime in the future and aussie lockers front and rear but for right now ill have to ride around on this lift untill i get the money for another one mabye with the tax money if my accountant (wife) lets me...... thanks for the advise though i dont know alot about lifting xj's i have lifted several old dodge and chevy trucks but no xj's.

If you get a 4.5" lift I think you can go to 6.5 pretty easy.

2" spacer in front and 2" shackle in the rear.

You'll need other things, but this lets you get into a better lift, get your other items in line (SYE, diffs, etc...) then later move to the larger lift and tires.

that sounds like it would work pretty good any suggestions on what brand of lift to go with i want somthing good but dont want to spend a bunch for it. also on the d44 swap could i get axles from a junkyard and from what kind of vehicle is easiest? thanks

that sounds like it would work pretty good any suggestions on what brand of lift to go with i want somthing good but dont want to spend a bunch for it. also on the d44 swap could i get axles from a junkyard and from what kind of vehicle is easiest? thanks

I hear a lot of people recommend the Rubicon Express. I personally have only had experiance with Rough Country. I am very happy with mine. They saw the RE rides better and has more flex.

If you go the RC route get the kit with the full leaf replacements not the add a leaf (AAL).

I purchased the AAL, then recently upgraded to the full leafs.

Since I got the AAL 4.5" kit mine came with the same rear shackle as the 6.5" kit. So now I can adjust from 5.5" to 6.5". This worked out well since I have a diamond plate rear bumper and a spare tire on the carrier. My XJ sits level now with 4.5" coil spring lift in front and 5.5" leaf spring lift in the back.

before asking a whole lot of questions about which lift company, axle donors... you may want to sit back and search for a few hours and do alot of reading. research and planning is the key to a successful buildup.

thats what i am doing now i dont have the money right at the moment for everything i need for it so i am trying to get some info on what parts and where from and that sort of thing to figure out which route i am going to go to make this a succesfull build.

I know some people stick their nose up at rusty's lifts but i've had this one for going on seven years and no problems yet... Heck of a lot cheaper than other places too and it flexes like mad! Just my two cents. :) This is what i did...

-Rusty's 4.5 long arm full spring pack
-RE boomarang shackles for the rear that gave me another 1.75 in of lift
-Then spacers up front to level it all out, but looking back i would have gotten jks ACOS system for the front. Oh and make sure to get the right length shocks or they become limiting straps and you wouldn't want to hold back your brand new lift!

yeah the right lenth shocks are a must i had a friend who lifted his xj a while back and left stock shocks on it and ripped the rear ones out of the body wheeling in it.

just found out that i might be getting a ford 8.8 rear axle from a ranger for my xj......for free

yeah the right lenth shocks are a must i had a friend who lifted his xj a while back and left stock shocks on it and ripped the rear ones out of the body wheeling in it.

just found out that i might be getting a ford 8.8 rear axle from a ranger for my xj......for free

free is good but the ranger axle is not as good as the 8.8 from an explorer. the shafts are not as strong, they have less splines.

yeah but like i said its free and supposed to have 3.55 gears like mine............it is still stronger than a stock d35 by quite a bit though and i dont care muck for rockcrawling and really hardcore stuff so it will do just fine.

just got my tax check yesterday and guss what i ordered???? a Rusty's 4.5" lift with full rear springs. when i get the money for a SYE ill lift it another 1.5"-2" with spacers and shackles. its gotta be better than blocks and spacers right? also i am ordering an aussie locker for the front i would love to have one for the rear too but i think ill wait untill i figure out what axle i am going with for the rear i decided not to get the 8.8 from the ranger and wait untill i find one from an explorer. does anyone know if they came with 3:55 gears or would i have to re-gear it?

by the way i ordered the lift for an 8.8 rear axle so i cant install it untill i get the axle and if it comes with 3:73 or 4:10 gears like i was told alot of them do i will just re-gear the front axle so i may have to hold off on the front locker untill i find out for sure what i am doing.

Back