• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drivers side door completely off.

That's right. It is not even connected to the vehicle.

The nightmare started a few days ago when I opened the door (drivers side) and it dropped a little bit. So I just said "Oh, it'll need new hinge pins within a few months from now."

Oh gawd was I wrong.

Upon filling up at the local gas station after getting out of work, I shut the door to leave, the door wont latch correctly so I gave it a bit of force, not like a damn linebacker, but just a good nudge. It wouldn't close. "Great, now it's either I call AAA or just hold on to that door for 10 miles. So I chose the later, and made it home.

It was a miracle I made it home. It was pretty much off. Both the hinges are broken off completely and it appears that They were put on with JB cold weld. That does a **** of a lot of good.

So, My dilemma...What to do? Ideally I would just want to get a new door hardware kit and have someone put it in. I don't know...It's been a weird night.

In conclusion, I would just want some input from other users who have might have experienced this before. Estimations of parts and labor would be good also.

(Btw - It's a 1988 Pioneer XJ.)

It's the same problem that almost every xj goes through at some point for the older ones. The problem is that when they were made the door hinges on the body side were inherently weak being welded to thin sheet metal and only on three of the 4 sides leaving the back open to separate the door hinge from the body. Only way to fix it is clean up the body where the hinge goes and the hinge and weld it back on being careful not to blow through the thin sheet metal body and weld all 4 sides. Search on here for door check as there was a replacement made that prevented the door from swinging out so far and causing the stress on the hinge.

Back