• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Surco Mount Question

Seasalt

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I got a 2000 XJ and currently have a Surco basket mounted on the roof rack rails. I really don't feel comfortable with the roof rack rail mounts because it seems like its going to slip or come off.

For those who have the Surco basket, do you recommend the rain gutter mount? I want to be able to carry kayaks on top of it, it will be around 120 lbs max if 2 kayaks are on there.

thanks for the help!

I agree with Randy,not a fan of gutter mounts. I used the j100 mounts on my Surco and also drilled through the rack and the factory slider bars and bolted it to them.
lights007.jpg

aaaa.jpg

aaa.jpg

My roof rail mounts hold just fine as well. Never had a problem with them, even with a full load.

I too don't care for gutter mounts. Living on the coast, rust is a big thing to worry about. Seen too many gutter rails rust away beneath a roof rack around here.....

Good friend of mine ripped his gutter off the Jeep leaning his rack against the trees,rather tear the rack off then the gutters.

I had the track mounts and had nothing but problems with leaks once I put my tire, shovel, axe, hilift up there. I switched to the gutters and so happy. you can lift the jeep by the gutters they are so strong.

the tracks are only held in by a torx head bolt through the track and roof into a small brass nut that is fused into a rubber grommet like thing to seal the hole and hold it in, I have seen so many poeple rip off the tracks cause of how weak the design is.

Everyon with a rack round here used gutters

wow... thanks for the replies.

does the gutter mount make the basket sit lower? Also, does anyone know the model number, I checked summit racing and their website and it somewhat confusing... they didn't have any mounts under 2000 XJs...

twisted_ed said:
the tracks are only held in by a torx head bolt through the track and roof into a small brass nut that is fused into a rubber grommet like thing to seal the hole and hold it in, I have seen so many poeple rip off the tracks cause of how weak the design is.
i believe they changed the design from the weaker rubber grommet to a stronger metal setup in the 97 redesign. makes the rack a little stronger if what i've read is true :thumbup:

good to know. You could cut and reweld the bracket to make it lower. I was goiong to do that with the track mounts till I changed to the gutter. I am looking at ways to make it work

The 97 and newer have a different mount system for the factory rails. My 2001 factory rack is all metal and the I have been told that in 2000, Jeep switched to the same rack as was used on the Grand cherokee.

I thought the gutter mounts on my 91 sat too high so I re-drilled the holes so what was the upper bolt became the lower one. That made the rack sit about 1.5" lower

Seasalt said:
What kind of tool do you use to drill a hole on the mount?

A drill :eyes:

the elbow shaped sections that go from the main braces to the gutter mounts have two holes, and the gutter mounts have two matching holes.
Instead of lining up the two holes position the gutter mounts higher so the bottom hole in the gutter mount lines up with the upper hole in the elbow section. Now use the upper hole in the gutter mount as a guide to drill a new hole higher in the elbow and bolt it all together.

Back