• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carb questions

tn88xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 84 with a 2.5L that does really good but I was wondering if the weber carb set up would be a better choice? Has or does anyone have one and how do they do offroad?

I have an 85 2.5l with the carb as well and I have been talking to several people about the same thing. 99% of the answers is to upgrade to TBI instead. The Weber will give you a little more horsepower, but I assume it will have the same issues as most other carbs when wheeling; running dry in the middle of a climb really sucks.
(A guy locally has offered me everything I want to pick of his 86 for $125 so I guess I will be installing TBI shortly).

yep carbs just cant out perform the TBI

I really can't speak of offroading, but I just installed a weber a week ago in my 85 2.5l and this thing runs great. (I had to get a shorter air filter and a fuel pressure regulator to make everything work correctly.) We have bought this XJ new 21 years ago....and I can sense a huge difference.

Back