• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door not staying open

Ignore.Antz

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone else have a problem, when they open their door and start to get out, and the door closing on them? If so what did you do to keep from getting busted in the head with your own door?

The door check should hold it. Is your's a 4 door or 2 door? Are the hinges loose (does the door have up&down play)? The pin in mine popped out and the door wouldn't stay open until I replaced it.

Look between the door hinges for a small arm that runs to the pillar, retained with a pin. This is the operating arm for the door check (the other end of the arm should exit the door shell between two studs and nuts.)

To replace the thing, you'll have to pull the liner/trim panel off. Then you undo the nuts, remove the pin, and the door check comes out.

The only problem I've run into is that the roll pin they use is a particular pain to deal with. Solution? Take the pin to the hardware store and find a linch pin, hitch pin, or clevis pin that is the same size or just slightly smaller, and use that. Easy.

Last time I had to replace one, it took me twenty minutes (but I didn't have to go to the hardware store, I have a decent assortment of hardware here. I'm always fixing things...)

If the pin has come out, and your arm for the door check has retracted, and easy way to get it back out is to thread a cable tie through the top ring of the bracket the pin should be in, then close the door enough to get the cable through the door check arm, then back through the bottom ring, and then close it up. Slowly open the door, and it should pull it out. Use a decent size cable tie or else it will just shear it off.

It is the door stay. I picked up one at the junk yard yesterday. They are like $35 at the stealership if I remember right. You have to take of the door panel and speaker to get at them and they are held on with 2 bolts.

4231-8496frtdoorck.jpg

The arm and the pin are there attached, but there is zero resistance as you open the door. In past vehicles, the door felt like it had points that it would stay open at. I see the notches in the arm, but I am guessing the guts of the door check are gone and nothing holding the door open. It is annoying and I have more pressing issues, but it is nice to know what holds the door open.

I was putting in a new ignition switch and it was a windy day, the damn door kept bashing me in the dome.

Any chance on the 4 doors just swapping the backs for the fronts, or are they different?

My fronts don't work, and the backs are really tight.

Junkyard is your friend. I guess when it warms up and I'm messing with my Jeep, I'll gold plate mine. Really though, it would be good to clean 'em, lube 'em, and swap fronts from side to side to extend the life of them. (At $57 a crack.)

I removed my door check yesterday, I like the door better without it ;)

I drove a TJ for a couple years and I hated the fact the doors wouldn't stay open, so I am all set. Tuna you should sell them at 57 a pop, if your not going to be using them.

I put a strap in there to keep it from hitting the hinge. Also worked out that when working in the jeep I can just prop my foot there and hold the door against the strap.

Back