• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sounds like someone's lap dog is under my hood in the morning.

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
This just started happening yesterday morning. Sounds like a small lap dog under my hood who is barking lightly. He barks a little under every second. For about the first 5 minutes then leaves me alone. I tried looking under the hood this morning but it was dark and it sounded like he was on the passenger side of the engine. Anyone have any idea what I am hearing? I thought it was the belt. Does not seem to be coming from the front of the engine. More like the side. It is a 99 with a 4.0L. The vehicle does not run any different.

newjeepowner said:
This just started happening yesterday morning. Sounds like a small lap dog under my hood who is barking lightly. He barks a little under every second. For about the first 5 minutes then leaves me alone. I tried looking under the hood this morning but it was dark and it sounded like he was on the passenger side of the engine. Anyone have any idea what I am hearing? I thought it was the belt. Does not seem to be coming from the front of the engine. More like the side. It is a 99 with a 4.0L. The vehicle does not run any different.

Don't believe your ears; check the belt tension. I would have sworn my squealing belt sound was coming from the rear diff. :D

I just went outside to check and see where the squeaking/barking noise is coming from. I swear it sounds like it is coming from my distributor cap. If I put my hand on the cap I can feel a slight pulse. It does go away after it gets warm. Any idea what it could be?

goodburbon said:
Remove the belt and start the engine to see if it is something belt driven.

I'm sorry , did you hear something? No i was too busy sticking my hand on a running distributor.:doh:

Step 1. eliminate cheap possibilites, you don't even have to pull the belt all the way off:wave:

goodburbon said:
I'm sorry , did you hear something? No i was too busy sticking my hand on a running distributor.:doh:

Step 1. eliminate cheap possibilites, you don't even have to pull the belt all the way off:wave:

Shocking, positively shocking...

Thank you everyone. It was my distributor. After I pulled the old unit it was hard to turn the rotor. Very easy replacing. Marked the spot where the rotor was pointing and again when the distributor was pulled. Went right back to the same spot on first try of installing the new distributor

Back