• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ISUZU 12 BOLT?

chucknes

NAXJA Forum User
ok i know there ar a few threads already on this, but i am in germany and good parts are hard to find. i have a '90 XJ with a d35 and an un intentionally built d30. of course i dont want to build the 35. i was perusing the local MWR salvage yard yesterday, and came accross an isuzu 12 bolt w/ drop out third member. that little sucker looks pretty stout! and from what i know of rear ends it is. i know it is a little short but none the less it should be quite the upgrade from the 35. i did not measure or pay much attention as i was getting doors for halfing and running out of time, but i think it might be just the ticket. if any one is willing to help i would appreciate as much wisdome as possible. in depth coverage would really help!

thanks
-chuck

I have not a single clue about that axle but If it has a higher spline count than a D35 its probably gonna be stronger!

well the Izuzu guys were upset when they moved from the 12bolt to the D44 is that tells ya anything about its strength.
other than its width (not sure how wide it is) and having no experience other than reading about it, its a very stout axle and worthy of a swap if strong is what your after.
the only thing I would look into is after market support, lockers, axle shafts n such. depending what you plan to use your rig for that may have a part to play in whether the swap is worth it in the long run.

thanks, i have done a little reading, and it looks like the 12 bolt is a lot stouter than the d35. it has discs and is only 35 dollars, so at the least it would look nice mounted next to my trophy bass and 12 point white tail head!

what youve got to think aout here is parts as well as strength.... suzy 12's may not have a lot of aftermarket sources whereas a toy 8 inch or a suzy 44 has a lot more afterwmarket support and parts will be easier to find

Some came with 4.77(maybe 4.88) from the factrory and those I believe came with limited slips. They should still have a locker for them and gears should still be able to track down. Check out http://www.independent4x.com/ and they might be able to help you find what you need.

There is a lot more axle choices and they are much cheeper then when I was into the zus...

Aussies for $375
full 4.56 thirds for $250

I bet yours already has 4.56 gears or lower so good for you.

I ran one for 10 years (in my Isuzu PU), and beat the snot out of it. If you get it out from under a 4cyl PU, it will likely already be geared 4.56. The axle shafts are roughly the same size as D60's, not sure on spline count. Limited aftermarket, I think the only locker available is an ARB... If it's cheap enought and you have a way to deal with the 6-lug bolt pattern, it would be a very stout swap in.

I ran one for 10 years (in my Isuzu PU), and beat the snot out of it. If you get it out from under a 4cyl PU, it will likely already be geared 4.56. The axle shafts are roughly the same size as D60's, not sure on spline count. Limited aftermarket, I think the only locker available is an ARB... If it's cheap enought and you have a way to deal with the 6-lug bolt pattern, it would be a very stout swap in.

My 89 v6 trooper had 4.56 gears.

As stated above they have an aussie for it now.

thanks to all, i am gonna grab it next time i go up there. at any rate its a big chunk of steal that the wife will love giving me crap about, and for 35 bucks, what the hell...

Chuck, I just answered your email, then got on here and saw this. If you dont get it, I will!! :)

Let me know when you go up to get it, I will give you a hand since I work at Baumholder every day. I have inverters that will easily run grinders and sawzalls to get it out easily instead of dealing with rusted crap.

~James

Chuck, I copied the blow excerpt from the the wiki page I found. The page is here, http://wiki.planetisuzoo.com/index.php/Troopers

Axles

The Trooper features an independent front suspension design. However, unlike many IFS systems of the era, the design Isuzu utilized is quite strong and will hold up well to abuse. The front differential is one of two different models: the Isuzu Corporate 8-bolt, or the Isuzu Corporate 10-bolt. The 8-bolt was used in Troopers until mid-87, where the entire front suspension was changed and the 10-bolt was incorporated into the design. The 10-bolt front axle was used in Troopers from mid-87 until the final Trooper rolled off of the production line. All Troopers featured front disc brakes.
The rear axles are slightly more varied than the front. The Isuzu Corporate 10-bolt rear axle was used in combination with the 8-bolt front axle in the pre-88 model year trucks. It's not nearly as strong as the 12-bolt and also features drum brakes. In mid-87, the Trooper received a major upgrade to the rear end in the form of the 12-bolt axle. The 12-bolt introduced disc brakes to the rear of the Trooper, providing a boost in stopping power and torque handling in preparation for the 2.6L 4ZE1. Slight modifications were made to the axle design in 1991 (for accomodating the new 4-link coil-spring suspension and wider track of the '92 model year). In 1995 roughly 2 inches was added to the width of the rear axle for the wide-track Trooper (along with longer front axle shafts), although all other features such as spring perches and link mounts remained unchanged. All 12-bolt axles from 1992 through 1997 featured a 4.56 gear ratio. For the 1998 model year, significant changes were made to the axle, including thicker axle shafts and different spline count, resulting in the Modified 12-bolt axle (with 4.30 gears). Most internal parts of the Modified 12-bolt are not interchangable with the regular 12-bolt axle. Note that the bolt count is the bolts in the ring gear not the pumpkin to the housing.
The Trooper has always had a rather high rear axle ratio. 4.56 (41/9) ring and pinion gear sets were used in the 1984 model Troopers all the way up until around 1998, when 4.30 (43/10) gear sets were used due to the availability of much torquier 3.5 liter V6 engines. The only exceptions to this were the 1986 turbo diesel trooper (it was available for one year only), 4.10 gears were used from the pickup to slow the engine RPM at highway speeds; and the 1989 RS Trooper, which used a 4.77 gear ratio. 4.77 gears were reportedly also available in some 4-door first-generation models with the "Big Tire" option package.
Wheels

The bolt pattern for Troopers is 6x5.5 with a 108mm (4.26") center bore. Many Toyota and Nissan stock wheels will fit, but most GM wheels have center bores that are too small (78mm center bores). Some mid-80's GM trucks and K5 Blazers do have factory wheels with a larger center bore that fit however. Note that the Canyon/Colorado have 6x5.5 bolt patterns with 100mm bores, and Trailblazers/Envoys have 6x5 bolt patterns.
Lugnut sizes is 12x1.5mm with with 60* conical end for factory Isuzu wheels. If using Toyota wheels most Toyota wheels have a stepped shoulder and are hub-centric, that's why they use lugs with straight shank and washers. The Toyota wheels have a large enough hole to fit over the Isuzu hub, but will not center because the diameters are off. Isuzu factory mags are lug-centric and the wheel centers about the lug holes only and not the center hub.

thanks james, the rear end is held in by a rubber break line at this point so i think a stout butter knife should do the trick. i am hoping fo axles this week so it will be two weeks before i can get there. i wan those hubs to now that you mention it the will make nice pencil holders untill i figure out what to do with them...

Back