• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wolf's Head DexIII ATF

duke000088

NAXJA Forum User
I searched... 1999 AW4 w/ 126K...

I've recently been systematically going through all the ATF fluid threads. I'm hoping to do a transfusion via the repeated drain and refill method since my ATF is looking a little sorry.

I had trouble finding real Dex III in my local area. There was plenty of Multi-vehicle, MaxLife, DexVXIIXIII :confused1, and other partial synthetics. But nobody seemed to have genuine DexIII. Then just today, I stopped in at a local Mom & Pop dive of an auto parts store. They had cases of Wolf's Head Dexron III. $30 and I had a case.

Are there any horror stories floating around about the stuff? I've seen Wolf's Head products around here (New England) on rare occasions. But it's definately off label. I was just happy to get my hands on the real deal.

Another question: My transmission was last "flushed" by a Goodwrench-style service center (years ago; pre-NAXJA days for me). For all I know they used ATF+4. But I have no idea. Hence I want to get it all out and get the DexIII back in. During the transfusioin (drain/fill) would there be any REAL DANGER of having the different types of fluid mixing. Eventually I'll get the concentration of old fluid down to negligible amounts (after a few drain/fills). To be fair, there are people on the forums who routinely run ATF4 and other fluids so I think I'm being paranoid. Someone agree with me :wave:

Last edited:
!!!1!!!1!!!1 For christ sake here we go with the trans fluid again..................

there is a chrysler tsb that states atf4 can be used in a4's from 89-2001. so if thats whats in there you should be fien or you can flush with it

Except the previous TSBs specifically said not to, so take that TSB with a giant grain of salt. Plus, you should note the anecdotal evidence here of ATF4 causing excessive slipping in some instances. If ATF4 was really equivalent to DexIII, they why did using DexIII in chrysler trannies usually result in a catastrophic failure within a thousand miles? Chrysler simply wants their shops to use ATF4 so they can stop stocking DexIII - an accounting rather than techincal decision.

A long time ago when I was about 17 I changed the oil in my car with wolfs head before a 200 mile trip to the beach. Well I never made it to the beach that spring break. Instead I was hooked to a tow truck on my way home with a blown up motor. I though back then something was wrong when I was pouring it in my car it was very dark color. come to find out it was re-refined oil. But I don't think they can re-refine transmission fluid.

dave

I run the +4 and have for several years with no problems...........:wave:

I recommend and run DEX III, brand makes little if no difference. Don't forget about freshening the fluid in your t-case at the same time, takes the same stuff.

I agree with Lawson's summation of the TSB on ATF4

I use Amsoil Universal ATF

I recommend and run DEX III, brand makes little if no difference. Don't forget about freshening the fluid in your t-case at the same time, takes the same stuff.

I agree with Lawson's summation of the TSB on ATF4

Thread complete.

Well, I finally started to do a "slow flush" via drain / refill method on my AW4 last night.

Look what came out! My poor AW4!!! :wow:

MoreJeep010.jpg

The splotch on the upper left is what was IN my tranny. The splotch to the right is FRESH NAPA brand DexIII. The cup is more of my original old tranny fluid. It looks like crap. :puke: Smells OK... not too burned.

The last time this AW4 was serviced was by a (don't say it) dealership (or Goodwrench place) and they probably used ATF+3. I don't really know. But whatever the heck it was, it is on its way out now. DexIII going in. Mmmm....

4 quarts out - 4 quarts in. Is 50 miles of highway driving enough to mix the old and new enough for my next change out? I'm going to keep monitoring the drained fluid until it is close to 100% fresh.

50 miles should be fine as long as it gets to operating temp.

To the OP Wolfs Head is a good brand if you were just worried about that brand. Have used their stuff in the past (when it was available) with no ill effects. I would use it now if it was sold here (Tx) but alas it is not.

Back