• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpstops on the cheap

XJLI

NAXJA Forum User
Figured I'd start a new thread to avoid cluttering crazyjims..

I'm just getting into the go fast stuff, but not going too crazy since us east coasters really dont have the locales for real jeepspeed stuff. I just upgraded to 5150s front and rear and the improvement is insane. although my current solid rubber stops leave a lot to be desired...

air bumps are out of the question.. way too much cash and i really think they'd be overkill for me. so, im looking for options.

Lots of people on pirate seem to prefer the timbrens over the polys mentioned in crazyjim's thread for out back.

as for the front, there are a people running the timbrens and people running the jeg's prothanes.

so who has experience with what and what would be the best for provided the smoothest bumpstop experience :D

obviously the ones with the greatest amount of compression would be "best", but the prothane's dont have that measurement available (from what I can see) and also dont provide a load rating (which the timbrens do).

I dont think your gonna get too much of an answer other then you might just have to try it. I would bet the timbrens rebound more then the polys and on the back of a jeep thats really just adding to an existing problem. You are talking about the rear right?

both essentially...

i only found one thread on pirate about the prothanes up front, and the one response said theyre worthwhile. i read quite few people 'blew out' the rear polys pretty quick, then switched to the timbrens with better luck.

Goatman's been running the prothane coil inserts up front for a few years on his XJ. I'll be testing a set out at the dunes next weekend, if they show up in time.......

Goatman's been running the prothane coil inserts up front for a few years on his XJ. I'll be testing a set out at the dunes next weekend, if they show up in time.......
I just ordered mine too... Maybe we can test together. So I am still sketchy on the install do we cut the old bumpstop off or what exactly happens? Do you have any pics of anybody that has done it? I asked goat but he had no pics.

I'm interested as well!
Billy
check the introduce yourself thread on here. Applevalleyslim says you just put a plate in top of the prothane so it does not get "harpooned" by the stock bump.

I just checked and my prothanes should be here tuesday. So hey maybe a pic or two tuesday or wednesday... Now if my straps come soon I will be in like flin.

Got the prothanes installed last night. I cut the 10.5" ones in half because they didn't want to compress much in our tests. I think I need to add a hockey puck to the bottom of them but we'll see. I used a piece of 1.5" tube welded to a 2.5"x2.5"x.120 flat plate to plug the hole in the top of the prothane so that the factory bump wiener deal would not harpoon it.

GREAT IDEA! :wave:

Got any pic's?

~C!~

Yeah thanks for that one. I will get pics when I finally get back from the dentist. My ex is getting her wisdom teeth done in one of those pain med studies and they are making us wait forever.

IMG00848.jpg

IMG00849.jpg

those suckers don't compress much, at full flex an 8 rib pack (10.5") compressed about 1"

Yeah thanks for that one. I will get pics when I finally get back from the dentist. My ex is getting her wisdom teeth done in one of those pain med studies and they are making us wait forever.

Thanks again strat. Yeah they did not compress much. I Cut them to about 5.25" and I think a 1" hockey puck will make it just about right to keep from damaging my long body FOAs.

I think I could make a bottom mount just like the top so they are very secure. All in due time.

Ya, i was saying maybe the timbrens would "jounce" better, since they have load ratings. find the right one, and theyll compress more than 1" maybe? damn webwheeling and no moneys makes me think too much.

IMG00848.jpg

IMG00849.jpg

those suckers don't compress much, at full flex an 8 rib pack (10.5") compressed about 1"

I found a thread somewhere that was kinda the same but the person cut off the oem bump and welded the flat plate to where the oem bump was removed holding the prothane in place. Thats also my plan if I can find the damn thread again.

Dave

Back