• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? for those running Longfields

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I know the shafts will take whatever you throw at them but where will the next weak link be in the D-30? I plan on running Yukon gears and a Aussie

Also the knuckles will need to be machined, does anyone have the specs on the work needed to be done to them, a drawing or blueprints that I can give to my machine shop?

Thanks

Where have you found the 27 spline d-30 Longfield cv shafts. I know they make them for the TJ rubicon D-44 setup. I checked their site, and they have a 27 spline axle, are these what you are talking about for a d-30?

I will agree the shaft will not brake, and it will probly twist the splines before it breaks. In my oppinoin the weak link would be the ring gear. Running these shafts would be similar to running the 30 spline upgrade or CTM ujoints on cromo 27 spline shafts. But with a good stiff diff cover, I think you are running a ruff stuff cover GOOD, and either a truss or an axle sleeve of some sort. This will hold up your 35 BFG tires with an aussie.

As far as the machining, I think with some carefull planing you could do it yourself, with a dremel and an angle grinder. All you need to do is clearence all three unit bearing monting holes. I have seen the sfafts installed with out the maching temporaraly, but you would not be able to turn, but you could take measurments.

I am planning on running a smilar setup on my 30, I have pieces laying to sleeve mine, truss it. I have a ridder cover, and plan on an aussie as well. I like the idea of the cv shafts because they do away with the ujoint problem, and allow a higher angle of turning before they bind, lessening the stress on the joint. Although I have kinda had my heart set on some cromo shafts and CTM ujoints. Both probly run the same price.
Micah

Last edited:
Here is the link;http://rcvperformance.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=38

They are pricey but i like the ground clearance the 30 gives me. Yes I'm running a RuffStuff cover and plan on trussing a disco D-30 housing for more strength.

So far I have had no issues on stock shafts with the 35's but I'm on borrowed time!

I forgot to add that I have a complete machine shop at work that will machine the knuckles for nothing, I don't guess there is any need of machining the set of trail spares I carry now!

Last edited:
IMHO the next weak link will either be the cross pin on the lock right or the ring and pinion. I remeber a front R&P grenading at Tellico one year on slick rock. It was not perty. lol!

there was a link recently on pirate on what needs to be done to make them fit. it really wasn't much to make them work.

you know the 3 bolts that hold your unit bearings on. well not the bolt, but the area around it needs to be ground down a little, and theyll fit right in..nothing major.

with that said.

putting those shafts into a dana 30 is only moving the weak link, to the ring and pinion/cross pin/carrier, or pretty much anything else.

for 850, plus 250 for gears, another 200 for install, and another 200 for an aussie, you can have a pretty built dana 44, and not loose much clearance at all

I think if you're running a stock carrier, that will be the next weakest link. I broke a carrier in half using an aussie. I would feel more comfortable with a detroit.

Like I said, I'm polishing a turd to a brilliant shine!

I know the R&P or carrier will be the next weak link, but something is driving me to do this anyway. I gotta try it!

Back