• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do i need to fit 35s

94xjzac

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 94 2 door with a 5.5" lift, i may be getting 35 in creepy crawlers monday and i want to know what i need to cut or remove to allow them to fit with out breaking anything

2 d30's....neat

Maybe you're not ready for this.

2 d30's....neat

Maybe you're not ready for this.

haha well said..

Ill try not to be an ass, but do some research. You are going to run into a lot of problems if you just start throwing on 35s and stuff like that without thinking it through. Im 1200 posts through and JUST NOW stepped up to 35s.

First off, you dont have 2 dana 30s, you have one and its up front. The rear axle in your jeep is either a d30 (dont even think about putting 35s on that) or a 8.25. If you have 297/760 series front joints and non disco axle or 29 spline rear shafts in the 8.25 (if that is what you have, 97+) then that will help, also if its not a 2000 or 2001 then it will have a high pinion dana 30, which is also good. We need more information about your car, and again you might not want to step it up just yet.

Last edited:
35's with stock shafts with out breaking anything. LOL Don't wheel hard at all. It is a good chance you will break axles, just carry extras. What axle do you have in the back? The Dana 44's, are they from a full size waggy or an XJ size waggy(rear only on an XJ)? If from a full size the front will be set up for leaf springs and not coil springs. And they are a bit wider too if I remember right. Do a few searches and you will find that alot of people ask the same questions.

s sawzall and a hammer. D30(s), how bout ya give him a break Deft, he probably goes wheelin when he's invited. What rear axle? a d35, 8.25 chryco, d44? You will be told not to run massive tires with the d30, or 35. I say carry lots of tools, parts, beer and party favors, so when you break it you have plenty of help. OR, upgrade your axles before shucking out cash for the tires. Get the axles first, then the tires. Run cheap tires, and use the cash to get axles. that way you don't fall into the I would upgrade the axles, but I keep havin to repair the old ones. You can find cheap tires, and still wheel, it's the axles that will hold you back. Put the horse in front of the cart, and it works better. By the way the bfg ats will get you as far as you need on the d30/35 combo. Is the chain on the bumper to lock it to a bike rack?

ya im certain i have dana 30s front and rear, i want to step to dana 44s, like that was the plan, im trading my 32 bfs for 35s no money so i can get tires and buy the dana 44s for 400 bucks i found on craigslist out of a wagoneer, i just didnt get a chance to say that

As you've already been told, there is no such thing as a Dana 30 rear axle.

i'm running 35x12.5's on my jeep with a d30 in the front(stock shafts) and a 29 spline 8.25 in the rear(both regeared to 4.56 and factory lsd in the rear) and i wheel pretty hard without any worries. only 4" of lift and lots of trimming too!

150216_lg.jpg

and

sawzall_large.jpg

... this thread may now be closed. :D

if you're on a 35 rear, that does not mean you can run 35s safely... just so you can't say no one told you.

keep us posted, we'll keep ya toasted. I trimmed my fenders with a jig saw and a claw hammer. I run bfg ats on a d30 high pinion front with a richmond locker, and a chryco 8.25 out back. I am pretty rough on my stuff, I just plan on breakin it. Just always have an exit plan in mind. Never wheel alone, and never wheel with dicks

35" tires on a D35 rear is sketchy at best. If you keep it open (unlocked) and are easy on the go-pedal, it may last awhile. The problem being that muuch tire weight and leverage (not to mention traction) is more than the D35 was designed to handle. I do know a couple of people who ran 35"s on a D35, and it ended badly. It's really just a matter of time with that axle. Look for a Ford 8.8" out of an Explorer or a factory D44 or Chrysler 8.25" to swap in.

The front D30 can handle 35"s if you upgrade the shafts and u-joints to high alloys/aftermarket such as Yukons, it also helps to use a thick aftermarket diff cover to stiffen the pumpkin.

Back