• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fiberglass fender install q's...

Hellbent

NAXJA Forum User
so i picked up a brand new pair of what appear to be kartek fiberglass fenders. looking for any special installation instructions anyone might have. curious about using large fender washers on all the bolts, any special hardware, or any weird issue i might encounter? one has the holes drilled and one does not, measure twice-drill once should work good i hope. any tips would appreciated...

I used all my stock hardware. Be ready to pull out a grinder and a sanding disc to make it fit by the windshield perfect. Post pics when your done.

I used all my stock hardware. Be ready to pull out a grinder and a sanding disc to make it fit by the windshield perfect. Post pics when your done.

i kind of set them in place to check out the fit, i can see that post area will need "fitting". that shouldn't be too bad. i'll take some before and after pics and post when i'm done. also, any tips on painting them? white looks awful with the current teal-ish and black. planning on rattle-canning them low gloss black. just scuff them and paint? primer first?

I did a good deal of sanding then I primed then sanded and repeated till they were smooth. It is also a good idea to use a flex agent in the paint but I think you could do without. I ended up making my own shim for the "post" area out .25 alum that I drilled and counter sunk for screws. When I set mine I would throw the top on and get it where I wanted and do the bottom last

sweet. thanks for the info.
and it looks like they're hannemann's("stock" flare), which apparently is what kartek was selling.

Last edited:
Yeah you will have a lot of sanding to do on the top corner by the window. i have a pretty big gap between the hood and the fender on both sides that i cant fix because then it wont line up with the door body lines. and the passenger side fender is a 1/4in shorter than the driver side fender. oh well they still look pretty cool, i just wish they fit a little bit better.

i don't mind if the fit is a little "off". it's a jeep, what do i care...
although just setting them up against the stock fenders the lines are very close, if not nearly perfect. the only real work looks like it'll be at the a piller/post. either way, i'm stoked. been wanting 'glass for a while.

i don't mind if the fit is a little "off". it's a jeep, what do i care...
although just setting them up against the stock fenders the lines are very close, if not nearly perfect. the only real work looks like it'll be at the a piller/post. either way, i'm stoked. been wanting 'glass for a while.

Yeah the poor fit on mine is definitely tolerable and the cool factor more than makes up for it. they look way better than bushwackers.

Could you guys post pics of the gaps you are talking about?

and of course a finished picture is always nice!

thread resurrected! I only mention it because I have a line on some fenders for only $200 for the set and have a 1997.... :D

97 and up will have to be shaved on the fronts of the fenders to match up with the rounded edge of the header panel. tha hannemans are designed after 96 and down fenders.

the spot that most people end up with a gap (including me) is where the rear of the fender meets the a pillar (next to the windshield) at the top of the fender. glass fenders always need some massaging to fit nice. they are made for racing where looking good isnt as important as getting the job done. if they build em to fit perfect out of the box they would be a hell of alot more expensive.

i would get you a pic but my jeep is 100 miles away from me :(

:cheers:

Back