• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Recovery Point

93gc40

NAXJA Forum User
Which would be better, set of tow hooks or front reciever mount? The reciever would be helpfull for moving trailer around, but would it be a good recovery point.

Yes.

The reasons I believe so are as follows...

1) Tow hooks & their related brackets distribute any pulling forces along a single framerail, while a front hitch spreads the load across two.

2) Tow hook brackets have been known to bend under loads encountered in a side pull, a hitch would resist this because (again) it spreads the load across a larger area. (I think. Physics and under-educated insomniacs do not mix.)

3) Most front receiver hitches are rated around 9000 lbs, if you need more than that to pull you out, you need an air-lift.

4) A front hitch can be used as more than a tow-point or a way to play with a trailer; they can use a cradle-mounted winch! Cool, eh? No need for a special bumper, and when you're done wheeling you can take it into your house and protect it from the elements. And thieves. As well as not needing to drive with an extra 100 lbs around all the time, as you would if the winch was a permanent fixture. On the other hand, you'd better be buff to sling that winch around...

5) A front-mounted hitch ties the two front framerails together, adding some strength to the structure. I think. Maybe not. I dunno, but it seems like it would.

6) I'm going to be putting one on, so it has to be better. It just has to be!

:)

Thanks, that is how I was thinking. I didn't mention the winch mount or possible spare tire mount or rack mount, because I wanted to avoid the "you gotta get a bumper" crowd. I figure the hitch is going to provide plenty of protection if I ever rear-end anybody. I already have a bumper, however weak it may be, that I think looks better than most aftermarket ones.

Get one that is tight to the body. I have 2 in of lift and small tires. My lower hanging receiver wants to drag on everything.
There is a post about building a front receiver that comes thru were the licence plate is. The plate would just mount on the receiver. If a front plate is needed at all. With good ground clearance. Plus out of sight, It looks like a win win to me.

Back