• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ Bed framerail crack

Easy -

1) Find someone who can weld, if you can't.
2) "Stop-drill" the crack - a 1/16" hole drilled in at the end of the crack will be enough (do this straight away, so the crack will stop expanding.)
3) Using a burr and a die grinder, grind out a V-notch along the crack. Both sides, if your welder can reach it.
4) Using a wire wheel, strip the paint about 1" side, centred on the crack.
5) Weld the crack and stop-drill holes. I know - you're welding up a hole you just drilled, but the hole was - and is - important! Without stop-drilling, the crack can start running again.
6) Grind smooth and finish. Don't leave the thing primed when you are done - primer is porous. Either apply a colour coat to the area, or use a decent undercoating.

Drill a small hole just at either end of the crack, fill it in with weld.
OR
Cut out the entire back end, put in a halo cage in the cab & hybridize it out the back of the cab, angle down towards where you want the new bumper to go, 4-link the rear & build a custom flatbed.
The 2nd option may seem extreme but you'd be surprised how many will opt for it.

yeah futher inspection reveals crack both side frame rail from 10inches in front of front leaf spring mount to the leaf spring mount and on the inner sider it goes up to the stock shock hoop this is a real bad crack .... think i need to opt for option 2
the bed might have to go :(

or i could try and build a Frame Brace around the existing frame kinda thinking out the box here but this looks bad

nah i like my comanche i'll wheel it till it dies which seems to be slowing happening but the 2.5 is still kicking just minor things now trackbar brake line and exhaust and the major frame crack

Back