• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Square tube doors? :thumbdn: OR :thumbup:

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
So in my shop class i decided i wanted to make a set of tube doors for my '89 4dr.

Should i stay away from the square or will that suffice for now?

thanks'
-PJ-

You can also make many cuts in the area you want it bent and just bend and weld the cuts. hard to explain sorry.

Cut notches into the tube, bend it where you want it, weld it. Or cut a ton of sections at angles. I think square tube is going to be harder to form but look MUCH better in the end. The XJ is a blocky car, so squarish tube doors are goign to match better than round...
Give us pics of the project - this is going to be awesome

Square tube makes a clean corner if you notch it, I used square tubing on my ladders. If you sneek up on your cut's and tack them once you got the angle you want, then move onto the next one it is pretty easy. I think it would like good.

Mac

regardless of weather it is harder or not to make them, if you are willing to put the effort forth, GO FOR IT. Personally, I think anything more square in general looks better on the cherokee as far as matching body lines and just looking better as opposed to round or tubular but that's just me.

You can also make many cuts in the area you want it bent and just bend and weld the cuts. hard to explain sorry.

AKA relief cuts.. use em in wood shop all the time to make sharp corners and such.

AKA relief cuts.. use em in wood shop all the time to make sharp corners and such.
Ha Ha I knew there was word for it. I also made a jig that used a 3" round tube that we would heat and bend the 1x1 tube over. I made a roof rack like that it was tits.

I'm imagining something that follows the door frame as it goes down towards the rocker, traces the bottom of the stock door area and stops "up" wise at the latch, done in 1" square. Could even hang a mesh or canvas map pocket off the top bar.
Me likey.

Back