• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

590.00 for dealer fuel pump and sending unit!!!!what are my options???

big black xj

NAXJA Forum User
The fuel gauge has been way off for about 11 years now, and the fuel pump finally gave up last night.
SO, i really want to fix both while i am in there replacing the pump. The dealer wants 350 for the pump and 225 for the sending unit.
Im not really diggin those prices, so what are my options when it comes to these parts?
Napa has the pump alone for 104+tax, but doesnt sell a sending unit for this application.
Has anyone had any luck with any of these "off brand" pumps and sending units?
If so, where did you get them from.

I found some generic "you make em fit" sending units, and i kinda want to remove and replace to avoid any headaches.....

1989 xj 4.7 auto
4.7 stroker

The fuel pump you want I believe is a bosch though I may be wrong, too many had failures within a couple of months using aftermarket ones. Yea, the price sucks, hit a boneyard and you might get lucky but I'd get one from a 00 or newer.

picked up mine a few months ago at napa for 79 bucks. The pre filter came off and i had to drop the tank to get it out last night as i kept on going through fuel filters. Otherwise works great, just be weary of the screen atached to the pump when installing. I found it worked nicely to install it with the tank partially dropped so i could see in the tank while i was setting the fuel pump in place.

The fuel pump you want I believe is a bosch though I may be wrong, too many had failures within a couple of months using aftermarket ones. Yea, the price sucks, hit a boneyard and you might get lucky but I'd get one from a 00 or newer.

i dont think an 00 or newer will work on his 89. different mount, pump, and assembly(no return line, filter and regulator in assembly). maybe just the pump is the same, but i dont think so.

I know that everyone is going to say this is junk, but I think Rock Auto will stand behind it. Airtex unit for '89 XJ complete with strainer and sending unit is $132.79.

That is all well and good but unless that warranty comes with some little mechanic that jumps out of the warranty envelope and drops that tank to replace it I'll pass... I missed the 89, those you don't have to totally drop the tank, not like on a 97+ where it has to come out completely.

I have bought alot from Rockauto, an dhave had no problems with their stuff, so i would go for the Airtex one.

I bought the entire assembly from www.Moparpartsamerica.com for 340.00 including 2nd day shipping.

My gauge didn't work either so it has been nice to have an accurate gauge.

That is all well and good but unless that warranty comes with some little mechanic that jumps out of the warranty envelope and drops that tank to replace it I'll pass... I missed the 89, those you don't have to totally drop the tank, not like on a 97+ where it has to come out completely.

This is EXACTLY what i am trying to avoid...
Sure parts have a Lifetime Warranty.....but how many times do i need to pay for a tow before the warranty wasnt worth a flip to begin with??? 2-3 times???

Buy a good pump--your happiness depends upon it (as well as your shoe leather!).

I believe the Bosch part number is 69302.

Scrounge a sending unit, but there is a cutoff when the sending unit ohms direction was reversed. Renix are 1 ohm empty, 44 ohm 1/2, 88 ohm full.

Search and you will find the changeover year.

You want to buy cheap, buy cheap dome light bulbs, not fuel pumps.

I used to work at a parts store where we sold Airtex pupms and they are GARBAGE - oh, and when I did a pump on my '90 I found it easiest to drop the tank and do it that way with the filler hose still attached but the tank laying mostly on the ground - it would probably be easier on a non lifted vehicle because I could barely reach up to where the pump is laying on the ground - and its not like my jeep is lifted enough to be able to sit upright under it

i have about 6 inches of lift, and im planning on sitting upright underneath it.
i bout the walboro pump AND the bosh pump. There were 2 possible pumps for it. At 105 each, im plannin to take one back.
Im thinkin about getting a sending unit for the feul gauge, and i hope it will still be raining tomorrow(half off when its raining)

I know that everyone is going to say this is junk, but I think Rock Auto will stand behind it. Airtex unit for '89 XJ complete with strainer and sending unit is $132.79.

They also have the Bosch pump for $82, so if you buy both and swap pumps, you're at $215. And if you sell the "junk" Airtex pump to your idiot neighbor for $20, you're at $195 for totally new with Bosch pump.
:new:

By the way, and I am not positive that this will work on your 89, I did it to my 1991:

For MY 4.7 stroker I replaced the fuel pump with a holly 250lph pump supporting 300hp. It is just the pump, not the assembly, however it fit just fine. It was the pump designed for a 4.6 mustang GT. It has worked great. Combined with my LT1 injectors I have had no problems since install 10k miles ago. Beware, the pump is slightly smaller, however all the parts that fit on the hanger were the same size so it had a great fit, just a little shorter and thinner.

Got it at advance auto for $90 or so.

1991 Cherokee - 4.7 stroker - 2000 intake - bored TB - LT1 injectors - clean exhaust

OK
Fuel pump was replaced with a unit from Napa.
I was lookin at the pump prior to intal, and i noticed the word "CARTER" on it, so im pretty sure that its a reboxed carter fuel pump. i would have taken pictures of the carter pump umber that was printed on the side of the pump itself, but the camera batteries were dead, and i was runnin outta daylight.

Back