• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calico Trails Question

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
Is it possible to go up Doran, and down Odessa in a stock 95 XJ? I have tow points front and back, CB, and I'm going to install rock rails first. Before I do much else I'd like to go on a couple of runs with you guys and learn what I want to modify.
I posted this on the recent Calico string but I'm guessing only a few read it.
Here is my XJ
MYXJ21009002.jpg

Thanks, Gregg

Is it possible to go up Doran, and down Odessa in a stock 95 XJ? I have tow points front and back, CB, and I'm going to install rock rails first. Before I do much else I'd like to go on a couple of runs with you guys and learn what I want to modify.
I posted this on the recent Calico string but I'm guessing only a few read it.
Here is my XJ
MYXJ21009002.jpg

Thanks, Gregg

I'd suggest a really good spotter to get a stock rig through. I don't think you'd make it with out a tug or two though

We had a stock LJ and a stock TJ come with us running Doran down and the TJ did get stuck on one spot but a quick tug and we got him off.

I would make sure you go with at least 2 other capable rigs and if your a good driver you shouldnt have too much trouble.

Most of Doran and Odessa aren't too bad but, I wouldn't even think about trying the entrance to Doran (the section some of you call the "Gate Keeper") in a stock rig! I've been up it several times in my early Bronco but....it's a really built rig. Just my 2 cents--------Hans

Thank you, I have a lot to learn about the Jeep and this kind of stuff. I raced 2 wheels for 40 years and am trying to fill that hole in my old age!

Take your time..It took me over a year to get my set-up..I finally went and got my bumpers for mine an the wifes..Lots of time looking at rigs an stuff..Good luck

well I will be very honest with you I was there on the recent run, Ive got 4.5 in of lift an 32's and we were dragging over the rocks on about six different spots.
It is doable but it would be at the extreme end of a semistock rigs capabilities.
my2cents

Open diffs will add to the carnage.

Your rig is pretty clean looking.....Honestly, I think that run would be stressful and damaging for a stocker.

There is one or three spots that could be very frustrating, if not desaterious without lockers, winch or at least a partner rig and tow strap. (of course depending on your experience and willingness to bang and scrape)

I am on 4-5 inches of lift, 33" tires and locked f/r. For me it is a perfect challenge without stress because I have been through it a few times.

Just to repeat, my goal is merely to go along with some of the NAXJA guys on a run to learn. I would take every bypass. It maybe that my learning would be done better by trying to find someone who would just let me ride with them. I just don't want to spend a lot of money only to find out I don't enjoy it. I think it looks fun but I've always been a go fast guy and the trail runs look to be a very different beast. Since I retired from racing I've tried fishing BORING (anybody want to buy a boat!). I went to Calico with NAXJA a year ago and stayed in the RV park but I took my CJ5 and just explored around. It is a fun little Jeep but too old and brittle to go rock climbing. 64 is probably a bit old to be taking up an entirely new hobby but after racing motorcycles in the desert for 40 years my thrill level need is fairly high.
Thanks for all of your input.
Gregg

well I will be very honest with you I was there on the recent run, Ive got 4.5 in of lift an 32's and we were dragging over the rocks on about six different spots.
It is doable but it would be at the extreme end of a semistock rigs capabilities.
my2cents

;) well it's more complicated then that. I think that when folks grow they become a bit careless (me included ;) ). When they're smaller they learn to be more carefull and are better when it comes to choosing a good line.

I think that if you had 235's or 30's you could go through Doran and Odessa. There are couple spots where you'd have to take a strap or a winch but you could do it. You would have to be VERY carefull when it comes to choosing your line and be also ready to accept body damage because the less you have the higher likelyhood you have for body damage though there is also likelyhood you'd get through without any. IIRC last year I got through the trails a nearly stock pathfinder and trooper? (or some other combination of rigs like that) with only one scratch on both (same spot, same rock, no avoiding it).

Heh, my suggestion....go with Remi...he's a bitchin' spotter! =) I'd follow that guy pretty much anywhere. =)

However, a budget boost and 31" tires would be a hell of start for not a lot of money....Then if you decide to lift it, you can just use that budget boost to make your lift that much bigger when inchitis kicks in full force.

Heh, my suggestion....go with Remi...he's a bitchin' spotter! =) I'd follow that guy pretty much anywhere. =)

However, a budget boost and 31" tires would be a hell of start for not a lot of money....Then if you decide to lift it, you can just use that budget boost to make your lift that much bigger when inchitis kicks in full force.

Remi spotted a small brain through Gatekeeper!......SANTA

I've read a lot of nice things about Remi, don't think I've ever met him though in person. I think when my XJ grows up it wants to be like Santa's from the description :=)
I am going to get the rock rail on early next month and hopefully I can attend the next group run at Calico and just talk to you all in person. I have much to learn and appreciate all of your willingness to help me. I live right at the top of the Cajon Pass so Calico is pretty close as is Cougar Buttes (Bullfrog). I'd appreciate notice if a small group is going out to either any time. Cleghorn is right by my house but I've driven it in the XJ and it was fun but not too challenging, at least the parts of it I was on.

Absolutley a whole different story if you go with a NAXJA group you will be fine as long as you don't mind a little trail rash.

Biggest confidence boost and stress reliever is knowing that you are with a group of guys that can and will get you through the trail.

Ya i went last time to calico, my jeep is really clean and there was a tight section that i had to get winched through to avoid body damage and everyone was cool about it. im on 33s and locker f/r it all depends and if you get slightly off your line that you wanted it could be bad.

I just got back yesterday, Dont do it. If your new to the 4x4 a good challenging trail would be miller jeep trail. Go with a friend, lotta stuff to get a feel for there and not too hard

Back