• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight/wiring Issue

ayoung

NAXJA Forum User
My low beams decided not to turn on the other day. Pulled the connector down by the PCM apart and it looked corroded, so i cleaned off the pins and still didnt work. I put the volt meter in there, and the pin for the head lights is not getting any power.

so i thought maybe it was the headlight switch, got another one at the junkyard from the same year jeep (1994) and still no dice.

Currently these are my symptoms:
No low beams, no high beams
When switch is pulled to parking light position, nothing happens
When switch is pulled to headlight position, parking lights turn on dimly and the guage and instrument lights turn on
If i put a blinker on when the "headlights" are turned "on", the rear yellow light turns on, as well as the correct front one, but they do not flash
If i put a blinker on with the headlights turned off, both sets of fronts come on dimly and somehwat flash, the correct rear flashes, as well as all instrument and gauge lights, tailights, and license plate light all flash
Also, the door chime for leaving the headlights on with the door open starts strong and then starts to sound weak when i leave the door open and pull the headlight switch all the way out

I am completely stumped, i have spend hours playing with fuses and switchs, and i still cant drive my jeep at night or early mornign which is a real pain

I wanna say its a ground or short issue, any ideas where to start looking? The ground right by the pcm on the fender wall looks fine.

I would get a NEW headlight switch. The Junkyard is not a good enough place to find a working model. AS an engineer, narrow down your variables. Probably time for a new switch, regardless. Then check your fuses, battery, etc......

i would but i expect that the switch is not taht cheap from the dealer and i dont have money to be throwing at guesses on what will fix this. Ill get a couple more switchs at the junkyard b/c they are essentially free, and there is no way that out of 4 switches one of them is not bad.

also i dont necesarily think it is the switch because it has the exact same symptoms with both of the switchs. i htink it would be rare for both switchs to have the exact same thing wrong with them.

Back