• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Trouble

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
I hoped I was done posting these kinds of topics, but alas, I own an old beaten offroad Heep.

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that after getting about 3-4 blocks from home, after leaving for work, my Heep word start losing power like it was running out of gas. This would last about 2 seconds and be fine the rest of the 10 minute ride to work. It's been real cold and, with no garage to work in, I put off looking at it since it still got me to work.

About a week ago, it would do this power loss thing twice then return to normal. This would happen once in 3-4 blocks and again 3-4 blocks later.

This morning I got on the highway after about 2 minutes driving through town. Before I got it up to 55 mph it did it's power loss thing and died. I pulled over and it started right back up. About another 1/4 mile and 30 seconds later it did it again. Again it started right back up and I started down the road again.

30 seconds later it died again. This time it would not restart. It would start up, get up to 1200 RPMs like it does when it first starts up. Instead of droping down to ~750 RPMs it would drop to 0.

I replaced the 1.1 ohm ballast resistor with a 1.2 ohm since the original one fell apart when I was trying to clean it. I was able to limp it to my parents with it trying to die every 30 seconds to change the suspected clogged fuel filter.

I changed the filter and left it in the garage. I started it and held the gas to a steady 2000 RPMs while in park. Sure enough, every 30 seconds it would drop down to ~1000 RPMs then back up after a couple seconds.

Sorry this is such a long post, but these usually are. I wanted to make sure enough info was given about my problem. If anyone could help me out with some things to check or tricks to try, I would be greatly appreciative.

If I am able to fix this with the advice from one of you, I will proclaim you the Jeep master and my hero. :D

TIA

First thing to try is to see if you have fuel pressure. When it dies and won't restart, check the schrader valve on the fuel rail and see if there's any pressure there. If not, you know it's a fuel problem. If so, it's prob. something else.

I don't know about the stalling part, but when my o2 sensors were bad, it would lose power. Also, when my front o2 sensor shorted out, the jeep was surging/bucking like crazy, extreme power loss. Might be something to check?

First off, alway give year and engine size as a minimum. This helps get appropriate advice. I do kind of lean towards Wim's guess. In addition to fuel pressure, fuel capacity can be tested. You should do a capacity test to pump at least 1/4 liter in 7 seconds. Failure of test would indicate kinked line or dirty filter or fuel pressure regulator failure.

Well, I got it fixed. It turned out to be bad terminals on the fuel pump ballast resistor. Bypassed the resistor and pressure tested the fuel system and it was flawless. Sat right at 32 psi through idle and 2000+ RPMs.

Back