• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Express leaf bushings for Rusty's leafs?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. My Rusty's leaf bushings are of course worn out entirely....what we like to joke about is that I really do not have any bushings left.

I know Rusty's leaf bushings have a 1 year warranty. Mine wore out in less time than a year but I reported it after the 1 year warranty and nothing can be done. Not that I'd want to replace my worn out bushings with the same quality anyway.

So I did some searching. I talked to Rubicon Express on the phone and a set of rubber leaf bushings from them is $71.95. Sounds appealing. They said as far as they know their bushings only work with Rubicon Express leafs. The guy measured them for me and the size measurements sounded really similar to what the Rusty's leafs use (actually I believe it is the stock bushing size)

I wrote down the measurements for the Rubicon Express bushings but I misplaced them.....I will try to track down the measurements. Although in the mean time I was wondering if anybody knew if the Rubicon Express bushings would work in the Rusty's packs. My friend has a RE suspension and the bushings look identicle to me but the question still remains.

Thanks in advance!

Hard to say,Id dont recall anyone even finding RE bushings other than from RE(they are not stock XJ bushings).

I need to replace mine in my RE packs but there's no way in hell I'm paying 71 bucks for a couple pieces of rubber. That's almost half of the price of the pack! There has to be an alternative.

Check out http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/

even if you have to do the old trial & error a couple times, you'll still save money.

I'd rather just do it once and be done.

You can pay $71.00 from Rubicon Express and know you are getting quality or go to the dealership and pay $50.00 EACH for the larger bushings and $48.00 EACH for the smaller bushings. You're choice.

I haven't seen a bushing set selling for below $70 besides Rusty's bushing kit for like $56....and I wouldn't want to put the same bushings in after they went to hell so quickly.

Last edited:
Damn I don't know why I typed junkyard, I meant DEALERSHIP. I was talking to a friend about a junkyard and must have typed it without even knowing...lol.

LOL, yeah, I don't think JY bushings would be a good choice. Although they'd be better than my crap.
I can't help with the Rusty's vs RE but I've always heard that they come from the same manufacturer. I'd say call Rusty but he'll probably just want to sell you his product.

My leaf packs with like 185,000 at the time of putting on the lift had perfect bushings for the most part. The rusty's ones wore out in less than a year. Go figure.

I've never had packs with poly bushings (I know they make packs withem) so I can't say what the ride would be like but it might be worth a shot to take your measurements and find something from that site I listed. I know poly will last longer than rubber. I looked at their leaf bushings and some were $$ but others were pretty cheap.

Another thing worth mentioning is the site I listed is where these guys, TnT/RE, get their bushings. I don't know if they sell rubber. Probably. They might even have the same bushing cheaper.

could you please try to find the dimensions they gave you for the rebushings?i would like to make my own out of a set of larger standard poly ones but re will give me no info at all on their sizes.i cant lay my rig up for long enough to bull the bushings out and then order something to turn down.i know they are weird sizes.

You will hate poly!

They gave me the diameter of the bushing and width of the bushing sleve. The paper is at my father's home, I'll probably get that tonight or tomorrow. It's not lost "per say" just not with me at the moment lol.

The width of the bushings would be the same regardless as the shackles and mounts are all the same size on XJ's....but I suppose the diameter could different based on the size of the spring eyes.

Sorry for the late reply guys, I kind of forgot about this thread...heh.

Here are the measurements provided by Rubicon Express for their bushings.

The large front bushing has a diameter of 2" with a centersleeve width of 3 1/8". The small rear bushing has a diameter of 1.5" with a centersleeve width of 2 3/4".

Sounds like the factory bushing size doesn't it? Which would work in Rusty's leafs....sounds like the Rubicon Express rubber bushing set for $71.00 is the way to go!

thats hard to say without knowing what bushings RE uses.

if i had to guess (and this is only a guess), i would say i doubt RE makes their own rubber bushings but rather supplies an OE type sourced from somewhere else....
contacting RE would yield an answer i'm sure.

Again,I dont think they will fit,Ive never seen a post where they did.

Back