• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what year xjs came with dana 44's

87-89, it was an option. Not all from those years came with a D44...

Yes, shouldnt be hard at all.

Yes, the axle will bolt in. But, depending on the original axle you had, you might have to change the driveshaft due to the different lengths of the yoke, and depending on your current ebrake cable length, you might you will have to use the ones that came on your '93. (I can't remember which years switch to have the longer passenger side cable)

I recently put one in my 94. I had a 8.25 in it and it fit great. The brake lines are a little different (2" longer to pass and 2" shorter to the drivers) than my 8.25, I also used the D44 ebrake lines and they fit perfectly, so did the driveshaft. Took about 5-7 hours with lots of drinks.

Not darned enough of them came with a D44. They are hard to find, and most everybody knows to charge for them.

What's nice is the Ford 8.8 is rated about as strong, and you can get them a lot cheaper, even with discs and a limited slip from a Mountaineer. You still have to fix the cables, driveshaft, etc, but you still get to use your present wheels, and it's within an inch of matching the width.

D44's are nice, 8.8's are, too. It's a mod, either way.

But the 8.8 isnt a direct bolt on is it? Wouldnt you have to make new shock mounts and spring perches? If not, then I might get one sometime.

yes you would need to relocate the mounts and perches. but IMO a good option is a C8.25 from a 97+ XJ. direct bolt in and almost as strong as the D44. easy to find and cheap too.

Back