• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small battery tray fix

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
AGM batteries like the optima, diehard platinum, or exide orbital are typically about 10 to 11 inches long, at least the 34 size that have the 800+ CCA spec. What is the prefered method of addressing the fact that the stock battery tray is only 9.5 inches long in the pre 98 XJ?

1. Modify stock tray?
2. Swap out stock tray for other (if so, what tray and where did you get it)?
3. Set "oversized" AGM battery on its side on lip of tray and secure with buckle straps?
4. other?

If your battery tray is plastic, cut the edges off of it to make it a flat surface, then buy one of the plate steel battery trays made by ruff stuff, blue torch fab, or ballistic fab.

A yellow top fit fine in my '87...

Rod, what year is your XJ? An Optima red-top fits fine in my stock '91 battery tray. Do the newer XJ's have a smaller battery tray?

Rod, what year is your XJ? An Optima red-top fits fine in my stock '91 battery tray. Do the newer XJ's have a smaller battery tray?

I have a 96. You know the expression regarding carpentry: "measure twice and cut once". I've measured the length of my tray three times at 9.5 inches. I'm having a hard time visualizing getting a 10+ inch battery to fit within the lip of the tray.:wow: From what I gather the 98-01's have a bigger tray. You guys all have the 34 size, right?

Here's what you do:

-Take out your battery
-place optima battery into battery tray
-check for fitment
-if it fits, bolt it up
-if it doesn't fit, pull the battery tray
-cut the lip off one side of the tray that the battery comes into contact with to gain clearance, leave the other sides alone
-reinstall battery tray
-reinstall optima

This isn't rocket science dude. Your Jeep isn't going to roll over and burst into flames because you modified the battery tray. Or go back and look at my first post. A couple companies make battery trays specifically for Optimas. Or maybe you just got the wrong size battery? My Yellow Top is actually smaller than the battery tray in my '98.

They make two sizes of red tops.

Buy the O'Reilly's AGM for $139.99 and get the benefits of 785 CCA and 120 reserve capacity minutes. It's a group 34/78 dual terminal. Fits my '88 and a friends '89 just fine.

Trim the raised edge like Sunburned above explains. I run group 34 with that mod-works great! its just plastic so trims easy with hand tools in a minute or two. Be sure battery holddown clamp is in good condition.

orange

Here's what you do:

-Take out your battery
-place optima battery into battery tray
-check for fitment
-if it fits, bolt it up
-if it doesn't fit, pull the battery tray
-cut the lip off one side of the tray that the battery comes into contact with to gain clearance, leave the other sides alone
-reinstall battery tray
-reinstall optima

This isn't rocket science dude. Your Jeep isn't going to roll over and burst into flames because you modified the battery tray. Or go back and look at my first post. A couple companies make battery trays specifically for Optimas. Or maybe you just got the wrong size battery? My Yellow Top is actually smaller than the battery tray in my '98.

I like your thinkin. You spelled it out nicely for him and beat me to it!
Dump that optima and get an Exide Orbital! Way better than the Optimas!

Also, if nothing fits like the above instructions, you're doing something really wrong.

But its also easIER to get a battery tray from your local auto parts store and measure, measure, cut and bolt up. The trays only run $10.

some of the OEM trays have a sensor for battery temperature, plus its $10 cheaper!! (Its only a little trimming, and quick to finish!)

orange

some of the OEM trays have a sensor for battery temperature, plus its $10 cheaper!! (Its only a little trimming, and quick to finish!)

orange

that little sensor is easy to fit into a new battery tray. the stock OEM tray in my 97 was steel and had been rusted out from what it looked like was acid. The plastic one I got was over 2 years ago and its held up fine.

Back