• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Compressor not kicking in?

Big Nick

NAXJA Forum User
I saw a few posts that were close to this but none of them were exactly what i needed. My a/c compressor wouldnt kick in so i tried charging it but that didnt work so i was wondering what i could do to test it such as straight wiring from the battery to one of the terminals or something? Also i heard the switch might be bad so i was wondering how to test this too, thanks.

There is a plug on the filter/accumulator bottle. It is a low pressure sensor. Have you tried jumping that? Lot's of times, you can't get it to recharge unless you jump that. Use a piece of wire or a paper clip to jump across the plug. It should make the compressor kick in. If not, start checking for 12 volt current at that plug, at the compressor, at the relay, etc. Not a bad idea to check the fuses too. If the compressor kicks in, but the AC doesn't run cold, try recharging again unless you're sure you do have a good charge (gage, etc.). If your AC starts to work, and you get cold air when you jump that switch, but it doesn't work when you plug the switch back in, then the switch is bad.

When you say it worked, does the system get cold like it should, or did the compressor just kick on. If the compressor just kicked on, you could still be low on refridgerant. If it gets cold, there's two things to check. The manual says that it is just to be tightened down hand tight. There is a Schrader valve (like a tire valve) under it that the switch that needs to open. So make sure that the switch hasn't backed out by verifying switch is in hand tight still. Then see if that fixed it. If it's still the same, thread the switch out by hand and replace it. THe cool part is that the Schrader valve underneath should prevent loss of refrigerant.

You should be revving the motor above 2,000 rpm when adding refrigerant... I wasted 2 cans on my girlfriends car before someone told me.........I guess the compressor won't kick on under that rpm if they are low

The compressor just kicked in but the thing is i just did the freon not long ago, before i realized the compressor wasnt kicking in but ill try it again and see what i get. Thanks for the info.

Back