• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS wiring???

kf_chris

NAXJA Forum User
I have been dealing with this issue for a while now, and I"m thinking about buying a set of axles with the gears and lockers in it already...so
Does anyone know which/color of the TPS on a 00 xj wiring is the ground? I've searched and looked around on the jeep for any other issues and this is the last thing I can think of and figure is the TPS ground is off and it's causing all the issues I'm having with the shifting/tranny/TPS code.

IF the wiring for my 98 is the same as your 00; then the 5V source (terminal A17) from the PCM is Orange on pin 3, the Throttle Position Sensor Signal to PCM (terminal A23) is Orange/DarkBlue stipe on pin 2 and the Sensor Ground (terminal A4) from the PCM is Brown/Yellow stripe on Pin 1. Pins 1,2,3 are on the TPS.

so should I try to run a ground to the chassis? or wire from plug to plug on the harness?
I have a few days and I want to get this fixed the right way.

So I tried to run a piggyback style connector using a new wire to a solid bolt on the engine as a ground. Should I cut the ground to the wiring harness, the brown with yellow stripe, or leave it? Or do I cut the ground to the TPS from the harness? I noticed some performance increase when I jumped the wire, but I still have the code and it won't go away from disconnecting the battery for a few hours.
Any help would be appreciated.

Ground is Ground BUT...

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has 2 main grounds. Both of these grounds are referred to as power grounds. All of the high-current, noisy, electrical devices are connected to these grounds as well as all of the sensor returns. The sensor return comes into the sensor return circuit, passes through noise
suppression, and is then connected to the power ground.

I understand the elecrtical concept. I was hoping for someone who had this issue to tell what they did to fix the issue. I left the ground connected and jumped into the harness, the light and code are still there. I'm not near the jeep, and won't be for a few days. I suppose I can take it to the shop and see if they can now clear the code off.

So, you must need to disconnect your new added ground. Then check the brown/yellow at the PCM for ohms to ground. Hopefully this shows good continuity to ground even though is it noise suppressed. Then check for the same continuity from the brown/yellow at the TPS. If there is a difference, you need to repair that wire or add a new one between the TPS ground and the PCM sensor ground input.

Back