• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!...Lighting problem on daughters 1996 XJ Sport

jmckennan

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my daughter comes to me a few weeks ago says headlights dont work, no problem put in new switch, they work great for a week or so. She now tells me they turn on and off consistantly while they are on, ok put new switch in, but this time if you pull to parking light position nothing works, if you pull knob just slightly past PL position they come on and warning buzzer as well (when door open, if you pull knob all the way to headlight on position they work but no parking lights, if you push knob back just before the knob clicks into headlights on position everything works or pulling knob right before headlight on position everything works. Now heres the thing, at first I thought ok I got a bad switch, 3 switches later including a OEM from Chrysler I get the same results. All fuses are good I'm getting a good ground, I checked connector undernieth air filter box, wires going into switch connector at dash arent not burnt or damaged, I'm just losing that power at PL position and PL and HL when they both should be on when knob is pulled all the way out. I'm baffled, any ideas would be great. I need to get this fixed as it needs to pass a state inspection to get registered (21 year old girl in her brand new BMW doing 80 hydroplaned and hit my daughter, insurance payed daughter off but now has salvage title only damage to Jeep was front right fender but needs to pass inspection to register)

Have to agree with winterbeater.... The problem sounds like it was caused by the accident....
I would check the connectors to the right side turn signals, headlight, and side marker along the harness in that area....
Could be bad ground, chafed wire or dirty connector....

Did the problem start before the collision?

Having to jiggle the switch to get lights does indeed sound like a switch problem. Did you inspect the plug to the switch carefully? They melt fairly regularly and slight damage may not be readily apparent.

Ok guys problem solved. I told myself ok 4 switches(all new) can not be problem, so I looked at the last complaint my daughter had and that was lights flashing on and off 1 of 2 things short or loose connection. Remember fuses good connector at switch good (terminals tight in connector, so next terminals fuse block. although I would get power at fuse what was happening was as I applied slight pressure to both ends of fuse I was allowing fuse to connect I just happend to check fuse again power and one end of fuse but this time didnt get power at other end (make Sense) so I removed fuse and sure enough terminal was loose so I unscrewed fuse block jiggeled terminal kinda bent terminal to make tighter(fuse side) put back fuse block walla...all lights work, test drove last night no flashingof lights. A liitle good luck a few ideas from people as yourselfs and everything is good to go. Thank you again guys for your help.

Back