• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced whole cooling system and still overheats!

FireFly

NAXJA Forum User
just bought the 89 xj ex chp. has 4 wheel drive and its an auto. but enough about the working parts. any suggestion on why it still overheats? i have replaced the thermostat, water pump, radiator, every single hose, and radiator cap thats on the tank. maybe about 5 minutes into driving the thing (not even reving high or going over 20mph) the temp gauge shoots up like crazy. i shut the car of and nothing happens. no spewing of coolantm or steam. not even an odd hissing sound. im out of ideas here and about to go crazy!!! :dunno:

search on how to bleed the system of air. these ones with the bottles like to hold air in. i bet thats your problem, you need to burp the system. i dont think its even possible for coolant to get that hot that fast in these engines, its air.

ok so burped it and the temp gauge stayed just under 210 which is about right. i just mad the lower hose blow off though from the water pump lol. too much pressure or just a thing that happends?

Loose clamp, I hope? Cherokees with closed systems run about 16 pounds of pressure. The plastic filler cap on the turtle tank is a pressure cap, hard to find for some when it goes.

Get all the clamps good and hand tight with a screwdriver, burp, and try again. 210 is about right on the 89, the temp sensor is in the drivers side radiator tank and operates a little late running the electric fan. With 16 pounds of pressure, tho, no problem, the boiling point is past 228*.

The lower hose should be running a vacuum not pressure. Only two things I have seen can cause that. Either you have the serpentine belt routed wrong, or somewhere along the line, the wrong water pump was installed. They look the same on the outside. Your pump should have a cast or stamped R on it. The pump from a 2.5L or some 4.2L's look exactly the same but pump water the other direction.

my 89 sits exactly at 210, never wavers, cept on startup when its cold.

the hose clamp was not installed right (dummy error) as for the burping it worked! the car does no over heat and sits like i said right under 210 so im hoping thats fine. thank you all for your knowledge and advice!!! This is why i love jeeps and the people who love them too.

i had the same problem ..but i installed the aux fan switch ..i need 2 qet the air out ..but i dont know how ?

i had the same problem ..but i installed the aux fan switch ..i need 2 qet the air out ..but i dont know how ?

Park the jeep on a hill with the rear end higher than the front, with the engine cold, remove the small brass temp sending unit from the rear of the head(be careful not to break it off in the head) then fill the reservoir until AF comes out that hole. Re-install the sender. Thats how I have been burping my 90 for years.

Back