• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf pack drama

nochance9

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, i was driving today and started to hear a poping sound comming from my back driverside suspension area. So when i got home i crawled under my jeep (89 XJ 4.5" rusty's w/ rubicon express boomarang shackles circa 6" of lift total) and started looking for the problem, and after checking the usuals i looked at my leaf spring and all the leafs are kinda uneven... Like a stack of pancakes but only about 1/4" of difference between the leafs.. What's wrong and what do i do?? Please help me!

Ps the passengerside spring is all in alignment

get a set of spring clips. the are designed to keep leafs from shifting after an aal install but will work for u
rustys has em for like five bucks
u can get generic equivalents at ur local advance/autozone not sure on prices there tho

Is it safe to drive for now though? cause i think with every pop they get more and more out of wack.. Which is every start and every stop. And this is my only mode of transportation...

And i've already got a set of those clips on my springs.... So now what??

i have the 4.5 re leafs and they like to move a little but have never made any noise. just hammered from the side back into place. since u already have them and they arent doing their job. id say look for stronger ones. or put on another set.

mine did the same thing, when i swapped the leafs to opposite sides i noticed my RE shackle bushings were shot making the shackle all crooked which could contribute to them not lining up. just an idea.

The shackles are only a few months old... So centering pin?

mine did the same thing, when i swapped the leafs to opposite sides i noticed my RE shackle bushings were shot making the shackle all crooked which could contribute to them not lining up. just an idea.

So you replaced the bushing in the shackle and it straightened everything up?

smack your leaves straight with a hammer, tighten your ubolts, check your bushings, and don't stress too much it's a jeep, it's going to make crazy noises
x2. if i had a nickel every time my jeep made a non-normal vehicle noise i'd be a millionaire. and mine isn't even bad compared to some.

Holy crap, jeeps make noise? I have to turn down my radio to hear this...Sorry

My springs did the same thing, i just jack it up an used a BFH to get them to line up again..then i installed my spring clips to hold them in place..I do a check list once a month now, i tighten all my nuts and bolts..When was the last time you check your leaf springs? I bet it was a long time ago, like when you installed them right..
It is a jeep, so you need to check it alot..

So you replaced the bushing in the shackle and it straightened everything up?

well i havent yet but i plan to. i was just swapping my leafs cause my jeep was leaning and wanted to see if it was the leafs. but i wasnt sure the problem when i got into it. when i had the leaf removed i could wiggle the shackle side to side. but since mine is a DD i put it back together. but so far its been fine for the week its been done. we'll see what happens.

well i havent yet but i plan to. i was just swapping my leafs cause my jeep was leaning and wanted to see if it was the leafs. but i wasnt sure the problem when i got into it. when i had the leaf removed i could wiggle the shackle side to side. but since mine is a DD i put it back together. but so far its been fine for the week its been done. we'll see what happens.

The reason I asked is because mines the same way. It's been like that ever since I installed everything. I thought that I might have had a twisted leaf but I'm thinking it's the bushings somewhere.

RE 5.5" leafs and boomerang shackles.

Edit: The shackle lean, not the spreading.

Last edited:
X2 on the nickel, i'd be rich too every time I heard a bang or pop!! LoL

Back