• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lug nut torque

Step one: Replace those cheezy lug nuts with solid steel ones, about $22 at most auto parts stores.
Step Two: Hit up a couple of autoparts stores and get a long 1/2 torque wrench and a 1/2 breaker bar, then get a deep socket. You don't use a torque wrench to loosen bolts, use a breaker bar. You might need a 3" extension too. I keep mine under my back seat.
I got my torque wrench at National Auto for like $22 bucks.

The FSM says 75ft lbs.
This is very low compared to most vehicles. I would recommend higher due to the fact that most air wrenches that the tire stores use will warp the metal on the wheel and 75ft lbs will not hold tight any more. I tighten mine to 110ft lbs.

I once took my rig to the Firestone(Yikes!) store for some Dueler A/Ts. The guy working on my Jeep used his air wrench until it broke off three of the lugs. When I asked him how tight he set his wrench to he looked at me kinda funny and said "Uugh...240?, But that's what your tires call for." :mad:

Back