• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

760's: Snap rings or weld the caps

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm upgrading form 260 to 297 shafts, and want to prevent any caps from working loose.

I have new Spicer 5-760X joints waiting to go in. Now I'm just trying to decide which would be better, snap rings or welding?

Does welding effect the u-joint at all? Needle bearings?

How are you guys modifying your stock shafts for full circle rings?

I've also read about using a fender washer to cover the cap, and then weld the washer to the shaft. This way if the joint needs serviced you can grind the washer off. Has anyone tried this?

i'm in the same situation... just wondering how much material has to be removed to run full circle clips and if it compromises the strength of the shaft at all?

i'm in the same situation... just wondering how much material has to be removed to run full circle clips and if it compromises the strength of the shaft at all?

X2

It seems like a chop saw would have a large radius, which would mean a lot of material coming off. I picked up some circle clips today for a couple bucks, but they seem a little flimsy.

I've yet to come across a pic of a stock shaft ground out for full circles. A picture is worth a thousand words!

The chop saw just makes it easier to take off the metal since it's in a confined area and you need a precise cut. You can't get an angle grinder in there, and a dremel takes too long.

Once you get the u-joint out, and have a full-circle clip handy, you'll see how much needs to come off. It's not that much at all.

you could use an angle grinder with a 7" disk.... :dunno:

2r3humo.jpg

Well, trimming the shafts to fit the full circle clips was pretty straight forward. I first used a chop saw, and then fine tuned the cut with an angle grinder. Don't be afraid to take too much off. I had to press out the joint multiple times to go back and take more material off for the clips to clear. Sorry for the blurry pics.

Uncut - Cut
P1010007.jpg

Ready for the u-joint
P1010017-2.jpg

Completed
P1010019-1.jpg

0123091139.jpg

i welded mine because the holes for the caps were streched out so i used a center punch and punched the insides to raise the metal then i put lock tight on the caps and then welded them, i figure the axle is done so when the u joint goes just chuck the whole thing probably

Back