• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine compatability options?

two_shoes

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,

Need a little info...

Background:I picked up a '92 XJ with the 4.0/5spd (167k miles).
I knew the WP was shot and during replacement I found 1/4 of oil in the lower rad line.... I am assuming blown head gasket, so considering rebuilding it too. This vehicle hasn't run for 6 months. I picked it up cheap so I'd like to RB the engine in it and purchase one to run for a while. I know that a '92 will go back in but what other years would be a direct replacement, also which years Grand Cherokees would work?

Before :firedevil (flaming).... I have been through a dozen pages of searching but really need a straight answer so I can just pick one out of the salvage yard and stuff it in.

Reason I am asking here is I will turn this into a JS1 rig over the next year and don't want to hear the (Just stroke it) a 1,000 times for the rebuild part...

TIA,

-two_shoes

If you are just looking for a long block any non renix 4.0 should work up till around 00 because about that time they lost the ditributor.

If you are just looking for a long block any non renix 4.0 should work up till around 00 because about that time they lost the ditributor.

Thanks... I have called a couple salvage yards and they have been a little anal about the year and AT vs MT..... I thought the engines were the same, only flywheel back is different...

I have heard they are very anal about that but Im no expert so maybe slight changes were made. I know that some of the cams were different throught the years but overall I would put money on being able to put damn near any non-renix 4.0 in any year other then dis-less years.

I have heard they are very anal about that but Im no expert so maybe slight changes were made. I know that some of the cams were different throught the years but overall I would put money on being able to put damn near any non-renix 4.0 in any year other then dis-less years.
I put a '99 dis-less 4.0 in my '91 works fine

Back