• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sway bar yes or no

mlv1234

NAXJA Forum User
is there anyone out there not running a sway bar for on and off road. because i disconnected mine this weekend for some wheeling and have yet to reconnect it. it still rides pretty good i was thinking about just taking it completely off. im also on 8.5 with 36

Well I still have my swaybar on the rig,but dont tend to use it except for towing or long road trips.

I left mine off for a while but thought it wobbled a bit too much - friends were afraid to drive it and my highway oh-shit-maneuver ability was pretty compromised. Had a really nice ride over potholes and rocks, though.
Its up to you but I thought, for safety's sake, I'd put it back on.

I leave my front on just in case I tow. I never had a rear.

Asking this question is like asking if you should put mustard on your hot dog. Some will say yes some will say no, but you know one guy will be like " you know how they make those? Yuk!"
Its all opinion.

If you can hook it up, do it. Its generally a good thing to have.

I've been driving with mine disconnected for the last month and I can say I got used to the slightly more body lean around corners and I like the "softer" ride. On the highway it does wonder around a bit more and in strong side winds and can become a hand full. I'm at 6" lift.

Driving here in LA, without the front sway bar, would be suicidal.
I want my XJ to handle as well as possible in all conditions.
That's why I have sway bar disconnects.
They are cheap to make if you are low on cash.

at 5.5+ i would say you need one, but ive recently removed mine from my +3" xj, and im fine w/ it.. you just gotta slow down a bit, and warn people driving your jeep

Front only at 5.5 w/drop brackets front, relocation brackets in the rear on 35's.

It rides and handles better/crisper than my stocker

Besides, the "KYA" curvey mountain roads around here would be suicidal without one.

With rear leaf springs it doesn't "feel" as important. For on road safety it is a necessity. I don't care what you feel by the seat of your pants, it does a ton for on road stability. I run a double triangulated four link with coils in the rear at roughly 7" and it's a must have on the front one for on road driving. Otherwise it a big floppy donkey d*ck.

Off road, I don't run it, only because I haven't found a nice way to put a rear sway bar on. The rear suspension is a bit "busy", no room. My ideal setup would be anti-rocks on both ends. My rear is way too "soft", it does most of the work. I'm doing a minor rebuild to my pile and a rear sway bar is in the plans, just other things ahead of it. Having a balanced, stable suspension is my plan.

Back