• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

modifing intake got ?s

jeepnleo

NAXJA Forum User
I am making my own intake and there are 4 hoses going into the stock intake. 2 larger and 2 smaller hoses. 1 of the larger ones is the breather line from valve cover.
What are the other 3 and how important are they to attach to new intake.

I figure I can get a small breather filter for valve cover.

I would like to attach as few lines to new intake as possile.

1 should be going to the brake booster... you'll want that.
1 I think is the air temp sensor or something along those lines
forget the other 1 right now, but your going to want all of them either way, they are there for a reason I'd think.

The emissions sticker on the firewall has a nice diagram showing what each one is (unless that's just a California thing). I was just looking at mine and I believe it was CCV, brake booster, map sensor, and something to do with the climate control. Not 100% sure though, just take a look at the sticker if it is still there.

The emissions sticker on the firewall has a nice diagram showing what each one is (unless that's just a California thing). I was just looking at mine and I believe it was CCV, brake booster, map sensor, and something to do with the climate control. Not 100% sure though, just take a look at the sticker if it is still there.

CCV, BB, Map, Evap canister, and FPR (or 97+ the FPD).

That should be it, not all 97+ came with the fuel pressure dampener though.

I am making my own intake and there are 4 hoses going into the stock intake. 2 larger and 2 smaller hoses. 1 of the larger ones is the breather line from valve cover.
What are the other 3 and how important are they to attach to new intake.

I figure I can get a small breather filter for valve cover.

I would like to attach as few lines to new intake as possile.

dont do a breather for the one on the valve cover(CCV) or you will get smoke coming out of it and into the cab when there is low vacuum driving on the highway. run that to the intake. the plastic molded line with a big u-bend end is for the charcoal canister and should be plumbed to the intake.

IIRC, on my 89 one of the small ones is a vacuum line to open a blend door to allow air into the airbox. when you take the air box out you will be able to see it better.

i forget what the other small line is for, but i remember plugging it up at the vacuum line connection assembly(for a lack of a better term). the thing mounted on the intake manifold near the fuel pressure reg and air box.

dont do a breather for the one on the valve cover(CCV) or you will get smoke coming out of it and into the cab
Once the rear one plugs up, that breather filter will puke oil also (maybe causing the smoke?).

Once the rear one plugs up, that breather filter will puke oil also (maybe causing the smoke?).

the smoke is really just vapors from the heated oil and without it plumbed into the intake, it just comes out the breather. and with a breather, the back line will plug up much easier because the intake pulls from the valve cover and without that pulling(vaccum) the back line can get clogged.

I did this on my 89 and found one of the small wires needs to be plugged one has to breath and you will want to put the CCV line going into the intake. for a short time I did not connect the CCV line and no problems with smoke in the cab. I connected it anyways to be safe.

I did this on my 89 and found one of the small wires needs to be plugged one has to breath and you will want to put the CCV line going into the intake. for a short time I did not connect the CCV line and no problems with smoke in the cab. I connected it anyways to be safe.

how much vapor would come through the small ccv lines compared one of the larger holes in the front or rear of the valve cover where a breather would go?

Back