• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Life officially sucks right now.

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
Well, when you think things can't get worse. Not only is my Jeep showing no signs of life my wifes car also hit the crapper today. Her 05 4x4 Nissan Titan decided that it would explode the transfer case. Since my daily driver XJ is currently dead I was driving her truck today. I had taken her to work and was heading back up highway 38 in the snow. I was in 4wd when I heard this horrific bang and grinding. I immediately lost my 4wd and went sideways on the highway. Not only could I not get it into 4hi or 4lo, I couldn't even get it into 2wd. Eventually I was able to get the truck back into 2wd and got some chains on it. Ofcourse that wasn't after being flipped off and cused at by every retarted snowboarder/skier heading up the mountain. I eventaully was able to limp it down the mountain to the dealership. The quote was FANTASTIC! $2,800!!!!! for a new t-case. Isn't that exciting. I am now driving a rental chevy equinox. I am pretty sure when you buy one of those they require you to donate at least one testical to science, because there is no way any guy with a pair would ever buy one of those things. My wife is currently driving the 1st aid ambulance from her work right now to get herself to and from work. I can't even begin to explain how retarted my wife and I look right now. Something good has to happen soon because way too many bad things are starting to pile up. I didn't even mention that my job is on the chopping block and our power in the house keeps cutting in and out. There is nothing more fun than not having heat when it is 11 degrees outside. (I am now done ranting. I feel much better.)

man, sorry to hear Brad, wish I could help you out but not much of a motor guy myself. Bad things definitely come in groups around here also, hopefully things pick up, let me know if you need anything I can help you with!
Times are rough all around right now, I am just really thankful for my family!

Well, when you think things can't get worse. Not only is my Jeep showing no signs of life my wifes car also hit the crapper today. Her 05 4x4 Nissan Titan decided that it would explode the transfer case. Since my daily driver XJ is currently dead I was driving her truck today. I had taken her to work and was heading back up highway 38 in the snow. I was in 4wd when I heard this horrific bang and grinding. I immediately lost my 4wd and went sideways on the highway. Not only could I not get it into 4hi or 4lo, I couldn't even get it into 2wd. Eventually I was able to get the truck back into 2wd and got some chains on it. Ofcourse that wasn't after being flipped off and cused at by every retarted snowboarder/skier heading up the mountain. I eventaully was able to limp it down the mountain to the dealership. The quote was FANTASTIC! $2,800!!!!! for a new t-case. Isn't that exciting. I am now driving a rental chevy equinox. I am pretty sure when you buy one of those they require you to donate at least one testical to science, because there is no way any guy with a pair would ever buy one of those things. My wife is currently driving the 1st aid ambulance from her work right now to get herself to and from work. I can't even begin to explain how retarted my wife and I look right now. Something good has to happen soon because way too many bad things are starting to pile up. I didn't even mention that my job is on the chopping block and our power in the house keeps cutting in and out. There is nothing more fun than not having heat when it is 11 degrees outside. (I am now done ranting. I feel much better.)

Do you know what kind of t-case it is? It sounds like they quoted you a new one. It might be cheaper to have it re-built.

Should it not be under warranty?

Probably 3/36, unless he has an extended. Being an 05, it would be out on time alone.

My warranty ran out almost 30,000 miles back, so that is not an option. The quote was for a new one. That is not the route I will probably go with. There is a site (everdrive.com) that sales used t-cases with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty for half of what the dealership quoted. I will probably go with that option. The dealership mechanic was rather certain that the t-case was toast but their specialty guy will be in tomorrow for a more formal diagnosis. Because of the sound I heard and the response of the truck I am pretty sure that the mechanic who looked at it today was correct. My top priority right now is to get my truck up and running and then turn my attention to the XJ. If I actually have to replace the engine in my XJ I will probably use that same sight for the engine. No tax and free shipping with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty is a pretty good deal. Depending on the engine I choose their 4.0's go for $900-$1600 and are ready to bolt in.

Last edited:
I thought those nissan folks were giving a 5/60 or 5/100 as a perk during that time???

My warranty ran out over 20,000 miles back, so that is not an option. The quote was for a new one. That is not the route I will probably go with. There is a site (everdrive.com) that sales used t-cases with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty for half of what the dealership quoted. I will probably go with that option. The dealership mechanic was rather certain that the t-case was toast but their specialty guy will be in tomorrow for a more formal diagnosis. Because of the sound I heard and the response of the truck I am pretty sure that the mechanic who looked at it today was correct. My top priority right now is to get my truck up and running and then turn my attention to the XJ. If I actually have to replace the engine in my XJ I will probably use that same sight for the engine. No tax and free shipping with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty is a pretty good deal.

It all depends on the style of the case. If it's a Gear case, it's most likely
Smoked, but if it's a chain drive one, it might just need a chain.

I thought those nissan folks were giving a 5/60 or 5/100 as a perk during that time???

My truck had the 60,000 mile warranty unfortunately I am up to almost 90,000 miles. My wife used it as a commuter for 2 1/2 years. I know, stupid idea since it averages 15 mpg, but we needed the 4x4 for the snow.

It all depends on the style of the case. If it's a Gear case, it's most likely
Smoked, but if it's a chain drive one, it might just need a chain.

I am a little embarrased to admit, I know very little about my Titan. I do not know what type of t-case it is. I guess I will find out tomorrow.

Sorrry to hear u are having shitty luck. I'm sure things will get better foryou. Btw, how muchsnow u guys seeing with this weather?

Sorrry to hear u are having shitty luck. I'm sure things will get better foryou. Btw, how muchsnow u guys seeing with this weather?
We got just over 3 feet.

We got just over 3 feet.

jesus! time to bust out MR plow. I ask cause i have been up there for some RC crawling. Its really beautiful up there. I always though to myself how nice it would be to live in that area. Guess i have an idea now...lol

december08gtgpics30of120.jpg

december08gtgpics27of120.jpg

december08gtgpics45of120.jpg

hope those pics cheered you up. :)

Ouch, Brad, that is horrible! If it makes you feel any better, the last 3 days have been HELL on my luck too. Things are just dropping like flies. I should just wisen up and get wasted, but then I might miss the next spectacular thing that goes wrong LOL!

Hang in there, buddy, things come around. :)

jesus! time to bust out MR plow. I ask cause i have been up there for some RC crawling. Its really beautiful up there. I always though to myself how nice it would be to live in that area. Guess i have an idea now...lol

december08gtgpics30of120.jpg

december08gtgpics27of120.jpg

december08gtgpics45of120.jpg

hope those pics cheered you up. :)

Those pics are great. I remember when that group of guys was up. You are actually about 50 yards from my property. My house if just in front of mill creek directly across from the waterfall. I had never heard of the hobby until I saw them. My neighbor Jon was there watching you guys and is now really into the hobby. You should come back up and do it again. This time you can park right in front of the creek in my dirveway and not piss off any locals. Just let me know when you want to come up. I would love to see those things in action.

Those pics are great. I remember when that group of guys was up. You are actually about 50 yards from my property. My house if just in front of mill creek directly across from the waterfall. I had never heard of the hobby until I saw them. My neighbor Jon was there watching you guys and is now really into the hobby. You should come back up and do it again. This time you can park right in front of the creek in my dirveway and not piss off any locals. Just let me know when you want to come up. I would love to see those things in action.

will do hicks, will do :)

I feel you on the string of bad luck. Seems like it just keeps piling up.

Don't stress too hard; the universe has to come back to equilibrium soon.

Things are starting to look up. I got my Jeep engine all opened up and have found nothing wrong with it. I will be replacing some parts (fuel pump, battery, coil pack and spark plugs, oil pump and pickup, and a few other small things) and cleaning everything really well. Hopefully I will have it back together and up and running by Sunday. Fingers crossed. In regards to my Titan, the front drive shaft somehow was forced out of the transfer case which destroyed the shaft in the process. The inner gear of the t-case was also trashed. I saw the mangled parts yesterday. Grusome. I do not need a new transfer case just a new front shaft, gear, seals, and some clip. For parts and labor I am looking at $700. Although that is a lot for me, it is way better than having to completely swap out the t-case.

Back