• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny swaps

Fidget360

NAXJA Forum User
hey, can anyone tell me if the tranny from a 95 wrangler will fit an 87 xj?

lol! thanx a heap. By the way, does anyone know what tranny would be stock in an 87 4.0 5sp manual?

i think its the peugot or somethin like that.. thats wat tims has

Peugot ba-10/5 ish? And what trans?

In the 95 wrangler, if your looking at a manual it should be an AX-15 which should bolt straight up to your 4.0.

The only thing id be weary of is the output spline count of the tranny to the TC. But if you have the TC as well from the YJ it wont matter.

95 YJ stick would be an AX-15 like that ticket agent for SouthWest airline said :)D), it should bolt right up. You do not want the automatic transmission from a Wrangler as they are Mopar crap instead of our lovely AW4.

The 87 XJ's stick is a Puegoat BA/10 and is a crappy transmission. They started putting AX-15's in about mid-year 1989, all AX-15's were 23 spline so you will need a replacement transfer case as well. You technically could swap input gears if you get an *early* 23 spline input gear, they changed the cut of the planetary gears so early input gears do not mix with late. I'm not sure what year that happened so the best bet would be to get a complete transfer case from the same donor vehicle.

Last edited:
awesome. thanx guys. a friend of mine and I bought an 87 xj this weekend and the only problem with it we can find is the tranny won't hold oil and has no 5th. We got a killer deal on the thing at $350 and were gonna pillage it for parts:pirate1:, but we decided that it's too nice, so we're gonna fix it and sell it for way more. :party: anyone have an ax-15 for sale?

how about the mounts? it would mate to the engine fine, but how about to the crossmember?

Truthfully you probably wont get too much more then what youll put into it, if you wanna turn and burn it.

IMO, I would grab the parts you want, part it out, and scrap the rest.

The AX-15 and BA-10 have a little different mounting patterns on the x-member IIRC, but you shouldnt really have a problem making it work. and if not i think i have 2 x-members around here somewhere you can have.

you think so? what does a 4.0 non HO go for these days? not too much I imagine...

bout $350 bucks... :D

but really you can find running ones on craigslist for easily less then $1K.

lol, nice. makes me feel stupid for getting all excited.

hm... yeah, may be better to just take the parts... anyone need beige interior peices?

Back