• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end collision repair

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Friend of a friend dropped off a 97+ XJ today for me to install a Nates4x4 bumper on after a front end collision. The guy had already replaced the header panel, pass fender needs replacement... but that'll have to wait.

So i looked under it and the unirail is tweaked where the bumper mounts, told the dude i'll see what i can do to get the new bumper mounted after removing the trashed factory bumper.

Drivers side outside rail is pulled out where the bumper bolts in, and looks like i can massage it back in flush again. The problem looks to be the pass side where the outer portion is pushed in. I'm thinking i can cut away at the front crossmember to be able to get something inside the unirail and possibly push it out while i heat it to make it more plyable. Follow me?

Anyone fixed something like this and can offer any tips? I think some of this damage may have been there previously because he just told me it's a R title'd Jeep.

I'll tear it apart tomorrow am and try to post up a few pics.

Sounds like a easy fix. I havent seen a 97 front rail.. but if its anything like my 89, it should be no problem since the frame rails are pretty thin. Depending on how you want to do it.. I think it would be easier to weld pull pins or tabs on the dented in part and pull it out instead of cutting the front cross member off to gain access inside the frame rail. After fixing, you'll have to weld the cross member back on. Another idea for you is to drill a hole on the opposite side of the dented area, and put a punch though from there to knock the dent out. If the pushed in part has a welded nut on the frame rail, you could put a long bolt in there and hook the bolt to a slide hammer and hammer it out that way.

Forgot to take a few repaired pics, once we straightened it out as best we could we test fitted the bumper.. it was good to go so we just bolted it down.

Some heat, prybars, hammers etc we beat and pulled it back to shape. Toughest was realigning the captive nuts with the bumper bracketry but it worked out well. Gotta say i was surprised to see this bumper from Nates4x4 had 6 mounting points on drivers side, including the factory 3, two lower steering box, and the large sleeved through hole by swaybar links.

If your considering this bumper you'll need to fab in some gussets under the winch plate so it doesnt pull/bend upwards on a decent pull. I'll be getting this vehicle back to replace both fenders, a lift and install the winch. Gussets will be added then.

IMGP0140.jpg

IMGP0143.jpg

IMGP0145.jpg

IMGP0147.jpg

I did the whole redneck body shop thing with a 97. To straighten up the very front we took of the front crossmember and used a torch,cresent, hammer to fix the ends up. I used the sway bar and where it mounts to the frame to see if the rails are pushed to one side and used that as a guide for where they should be.

Mine was in similar condition when I bought it, except the unirail was pushed in. Instead of getting it fixed, the guy hacked straight through the unirail, pulled it back out til everything lined up, and mounted new bumpers/panel/etc. I had to cut off what I could and sleeve it.

Drudging this one up from the deep. Does anybody have any pics of this exact repair? Not sure what the PO hit but my portion of the frame looks exactly like this. BOTH brackets are trashed, probably to get it to fit back on after covering everything up with some paint. I am not a body guy and am an amateur welder at best.

Back