• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removed U joints..drive shaft damamge...doh!

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
So i just took the drive shaft off and noticed that there was damage to the drive shaft. The u joints ate through the caps and made their way to the shaft itself. Pics will help illustrate what i cant describe with words.

So, do i need to get another drive shaft or should i run it the way it is?

DSC_0219.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

I was thinking of just hitting the junk yard for another shaft... sugestions?

That yoke isn't salvageable. A junkyard shaft is probably your best bet, plan on replacing THOSE u-joints.

If you've got a good driveline shop handy, they could probably cut that yoke off, and weld on a new one, along with balancing it. A junkyard shaft would probably be cheaper.

damn..that sux man. junkyard here you come lol

I'll bet it goes into gear with less "clunk" after you change it too!!

You were about as close to catastrofic failure as I've seen without the "boom" that follows!!

I'll bet it goes into gear with less "clunk" after you change it too!!

You were about as close to catastrofic failure as I've seen without the "boom" that follows!!

yeah, tell me about it. It would have sucked had it gone out on me on the road... :wow:

You were very lucky on that one. Repair expense wise and maybe medical bill wise.

i cant imagine what kind of wreck i would have been in had it gone out on the freeway...yikes!

Im just glad i got to it before any serious damaged occurred. that would have made for a bad day...:soapbox:

If you lived closer to San Diego County... I could recommend several shops to have the driveshaft rebuilt at.... Quality work at reasonable prices...

i appreciate that but im on a budget and doing this myself seems more cost efficient. Plus, i get to work on my rig and be proud of it later. :)

Back