• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

damage from bullfrog and input request

xjjk

NAXJA Forum User
here are the damage pics from the bullfrog run.
I really should have been on a little more rubber, OR on rock rails, but I had a bug up my ass and wanted to go so off I went. Actually, I think the damage came from the last part of the run when we accidentally ran half of cakewalk.

driver's side
28b20ff891bd.jpeg

passenger's side
e8c8dd040864.jpeg

Now, I'm faced with some decisions to make- I have an 07 JK and an 87 XJ. The XJ has mild mods so far - the aussie in front, 31s, some fender trimming, and a brake booster upgrade. It also has damage already.:confused1 Lifting it to clear larger tires etc etc is a lot more work than it would be on the JK, which already can handle 33's stock (albeit with some clearance issues).
however, I'm thinking I should continue to invest in the XJ just for this reason- if I beat the hell out of it, at least I don't risk the 15k left on payments. Plus I've got the love and support of you guys.

can I cut those dented panels off and have rock rails welded in place there or?
my doors don't close right anymore as it is.
Input, please.
Thanks!
Ed

You could always cut the rocker out and place 2x3 (or whatever size fits) steel in there and have a home-made rock rail. I know there are a lot of threads on here about guys cutting and welding square steel in place.

I was thinking something like that. will the doors close right after chopping out the bad areas?

hammer the rockers down so your door closes
install rock rails
count it as a lesson learned.

If you think lifting the XJ is going to be harder than lifting the JK, go do some research. ;)

this IS my research :)
consult the experts... which are all right here.
and yeah...in the back of my head I had this thread about what to get first running the whole time ... rock rails rock rails rock rails.... lolol
You're a neighbor now right Cal?

I can't weld, so I have to depend on you guys who do. i'm open to options, anyone interested in lending me a hand/offering their fab services feel free to pm me. Please keep low budget but functional in mind :) I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty but until I learn to weld...

I have rails from AJ's, and let me tell you, they can take a beating. I have landed HARD on them before, slid over boulders, and went on my way. There isn't much my rails can't take.

I know it's a day late and a dollar short for that advice, but really, they'll save your bacon man. AND, they provide a nice place to step onto if you need to get to the roof (if you get the kind that stick out a ways, like mine).

Either way, like Cal said, hammer, purchase, install. :)

I have to say AJ makes a good product.

Yes, I'm a neighbor, not in a situation to help right now though - I've got a pretty major project of my own tying up my time. :)

I was thinking maybe it will be easier to do a suds n grub at one of the local holes in arcadia/monrovia.

As far as I know, I'm running AJ's Standard rails, as is Markw (didn't know there were 2 options). Markw ordered mine when he ordered his 2+ years ago. (I think it was $250/pair maybe?). They hold up quite well. I haven't gotten to wheel toooo much on 'em but have definitely put them thru their paces. Mark has beaten the everlovin bejesus out of his, managed to tear some holes in them I think, but had suffered no failures.

I think Mark now has the new "narrower" style outriggers to weld on. The ones AJ's making now fit a little snugger to the body, as the ones Mark & I originally got tend to make Mark get hung up in the pinch at Bronco Peak. :gag:

I am a great fan of them. Also helpful for (a) standing on to wash my roof or tie things down on my roof and (b) others to stand on to apply lean & get me out of a stuck spot.

Back