• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

greasing d30 hub?!?

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
I've become obsessed with the cost of replacing them, especially with Timkens.

Going to pull them when I do front u-joints, does anyone think it's possible to somehow flush out the old grease and introducing new grease, like Mobil 1, by heating it up to a liquidish state and squirting it in there somehow?!?

Sounds nuts, just an idea,

Thank you

mikeny59 said:
like Mobil 1, by heating it up to a liquidish state and squirting it in there somehow?!?

It's already in a liquidish state.

Either upgrade to an axle with real bearings, or go to a junkyard and try your luck with used ones.

mikeny59 said:
I've become obsessed with the cost of replacing them, especially with Timkens.

Going to pull them when I do front u-joints, does anyone think it's possible to somehow flush out the old grease and introducing new grease, like Mobil 1, by heating it up to a liquidish state and squirting it in there somehow?!?

Sounds nuts, just an idea,

Thank you

They normally hold up well, whats you problem?

Also, I'm confused. You have a 98 and that is a sealed bearing, non-repair/replace hub. I got brand new ones on eBay for $80 each.

You are wasteing your time if you think you are going to repair them. Just buy some or go hit a yard and take your chances. However, you'll end up having to get the entire front axles as well at the junk yard cause I doubt you'll get off old hubs with hand tools at a junk yard.

They rarely go bad. I was obsessed with replacing mine when I did a overhaul with regearing, new axles shafts, seals, etc.

My old ones have 99K miles and they are still in excellent shape so I didnt really need to replace them. BUt I'm selling them anyway

With 116k w/31's and steel wheels, they seem to be in fine shape; again, just trying to do driveline preventive maintenance for fl./ny trips.

I checked them out per advice from the forum, no excess 6/12 o'clock play, seem to spin smoothly. etc...

I guess I'm just showing my age, I remember the days we used to clean & repack front wheel bearings, I know 4wd does not lend itself to the usual cone/race set-up like in the above and in difs.

If they're like a power steering pump sealed bearing design, I get the picture, no access to the bearing surfaces. I've not seen an exploded picture of a front hub unit...

thanks for the majority of supplies...

A few years back I tried to replace the bearings only.
I took the hub to a shop and asked them to split the assy and remove the bearings.
The guy tried and found the hub to be too tight for his press. Parts of his press started bending and the hub didn't separate.
I bought new hubs.

'nuff said, I'm leavin' 'em be...

Thanks

the early ones were supposedly rebuildable, but I was told that it wasn't worth it.
I checked into it, and after I paid the machine shop to do it I would've been about $20 short of a brand new unit.

falcon556 said:
A few years back I tried to replace the bearings only.
I took the hub to a shop and asked them to split the assy and remove the bearings.
The guy tried and found the hub to be too tight for his press. Parts of his press started bending and the hub didn't separate.
I bought new hubs.

You need a special set of press plates to do it. It can be done and it does work but it is a lot of time and money (if you don't have the right equipment.)

Back