• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 pinion loose

Tommy4949

NAXJA Forum User
The pinion on my 1990 D30 is loose and leaking. I an get another D30 out of a 1997 XJ and swap it in when it warms up, (May/June). The 97 has been sitting for 2-3 years. Would I be better off trying to fix my D30 or swapping in the 97 and replacing calipers and whatever else it may need? I had the case out of it changing seals last summer and I could wiggle the pionion around and see it moving from inside the diff. I have never done pinion bearings before so advice would be appreciated.

The pinion on my 1990 D30 is loose and leaking. I an get another D30 out of a 1997 XJ and swap it in when it warms up, (May/June). The 97 has been sitting for 2-3 years. Would I be better off trying to fix my D30 or swapping in the 97 and replacing calipers and whatever else it may need? I had the case out of it changing seals last summer and I could wiggle the pionion around and see it moving from inside the diff. I have never done pinion bearings before so advice would be appreciated.
I did pinion bearings in my front d30 a few weeks ago, get a fsm,a mechanic buddy, that funny dial torque gauge, and a press. It took me a couple hours with some wise advice, or if a complete d30 is good and cheap do that, seems to bee what most peoples advice is. I have a 4:10 front and they are hard to find where I'm at.

Back