• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear brakes not working and noise in front end

latenights

NAXJA Forum User
hey i have a 96 xj and this is the second time the rear brakes have stopped working. the first time it happened i got the proportional valve, wheel cylinders replaced, shoes and spring kit and it seemed to work but a few days later the peddle was going down far and no rear brakes again. i found out there wasnt any rear brakes when i was on ice and holding my brakes down the rear were still spinning any help would be great..and i have another problem thats not related when i hit a bump going fast or 2 mph i hear a clunking sound but not when going over a speed bump just when one side comes up before the other on an uneven surface

I'm assuming you don't have ABS. The master cylinder is actually two in one. One half for the fronts and one half for the backs. Have you checked the fluid level? Bleed the brakes? Checked to make sure the rears were assembled correctly?
When I hear a pop turning into a driveway, my first thought is usually ball joints. They seem to pop more often or louder when one side goes up before the other.

I'm assuming you don't have ABS. The master cylinder is actually two in one. One half for the fronts and one half for the backs. Have you checked the fluid level? Bleed the brakes? Checked to make sure the rears were assembled correctly?
When I hear a pop turning into a driveway, my first thought is usually ball joints. They seem to pop more often or louder when one side goes up before the other.

yea no abs sorry about that..the fluid level is full and when i got the brakes done they were bled (it was about 5 degrees w/o the windchill for a week and i needed brakes) the rears worked fine the day and the day after they were fixed but after that they went back to how they were before i got em fixed.. yea ill try changing the balljoints thanks

Sometimes you have to run them for awhile until all the air gets to the wheel cylinders. The order you bleed them in is also a factor.
I'm wondering if your adjuster star wheels aren't frozen (rusty and stiff).
Try backing up with the parking brake on about half and stopping middle quick a few times. See if the brakes don't firm up for you. Putting the parking brake on until it's slightly firm, then stopping in reverse, helps the adjusters work when the shoes are too loose. The auto adjusters only work when you back up and stop.

i replaced all the springs and the adjuster last may so idk if its that or not but ill check that out too and i tried braking in reverse with the parking brake on.. ill try bleeding the brakes tommorow too and you said it depends on which order i bleed them what order should i do it?

i replaced all the springs and the adjuster last may so idk if its that or not but ill check that out too and i tried braking in reverse with the parking brake on.. ill try bleeding the brakes tommorow too and you said it depends on which order i bleed them what order should i do it?
The farthest from the master cylinder first, then the next closer etc. RR, LR, RF. LF. (if your XJ is left hand drive :) )
Springs and levers have been known to pop off. Make sure the star wheels turn easily.

My '89 non-ABS had soft pedal until I replaced everything and then got a good bleed on the system.

It's common to find the parts (drums/rotors) have been machined at least once during the life of vehicle and that eventually adds up to loose overall tolerances.

Or, in my case the proportional valve wasn't working and once that was repaired the drums had been cut to the point they were actually flexing.

Considering how important they are - it made sense to just go for new front/back everything. I think hoses will be next on the repair log though.

My '89 non-ABS had soft pedal until I replaced everything and then got a good bleed on the system.

It's common to find the parts (drums/rotors) have been machined at least once during the life of vehicle and that eventually adds up to loose overall tolerances.

Or, in my case the proportional valve wasn't working and once that was repaired the drums had been cut to the point they were actually flexing.

Considering how important they are - it made sense to just go for new front/back everything. I think hoses will be next on the repair log though.

yea i just got new drums last may tho they were cut once but i dont think that they were cut to the point that it would cause a loose pedal

The adjusters compensate for that. Have you manually adjusted the rear brakes out until they drag very slightly? You have to jack up the rear, reach thru the slot in the backing plate with a screwdriver and crank up the star wheels until the wheels won't hardly turn any more. Then pump the brakes a little and put the parking brake on and off a couple of times. Then back off the star wheels just until the wheels turn with just the slightest drag. Now they are properly adjusted.

The adjusters compensate for that. Have you manually adjusted the rear brakes out until they drag very slightly? You have to jack up the rear, reach thru the slot in the backing plate with a screwdriver and crank up the star wheels until the wheels won't hardly turn any more. Then pump the brakes a little and put the parking brake on and off a couple of times. Then back off the star wheels just until the wheels turn with just the slightest drag. Now they are properly adjusted.

ok cool thanks ill try that tommorow

Back