• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment issue?

Brad Klammer

NAXJA Forum User
New to me 93XJ with the AW4 and the 242 t-case.

Here's my problem and I really have no clue on what it could be. I have drivin the Jeep on the highway a fair bit since I got it two weeks ago, and twice it has developed a wobble as soon as I go over 80 km/h. I then slow down below 80 and it will usually go away. Again, this has only happened twice for a combined total of less than 3 or 4 minutes. While this wobble issue is there, if I hit the brakes it will pull violently to the left (actually quite dangerously). Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas for me?

***** Important side note. I don't think my t-case is working properly b/c it is hard for me to get it out of part time 4wd. Sometimes when the lever is fully forward the part time light is off I still think it is partially engaged?

Would the problems described above have any relation to the t-case potentially being partly stuck in 4wd still?

Check your toe in, air pressure and tread wear. Read GO JEEP's alignment write up and put a tape measure to your front tires (as per his instructions). If the front of your tires are 1/8 inch or less than the rear measurement, then you need to look at other elements. Be sure to measure correctly and avoid raised lettering.

You need to research DW here to understand its possible complexities. There are many reasons that could cause it and the better you understand them, the likelier it is you can fix it yourself.

Check BJ's, TRE's, and find someone to turn your front wheels back and forth while you lay underneath and look at how things are working...looking for slop.

Your brakes and your TC are probably not related to the DW but rather due to neglect by the PO. Each can be searched here thoroughly. Those issues probably prompted the PO to sell, ie. his problems are now yours to fix. Your xj is over 15 years old and you probably need to start replacing things, bushings included. Fortunately, it is a jeep, and most repairs can be handled DIY. Good luck

Air pressure and tread wear are fine, and I'm putting in a lift in the next couple weeks so I will check alignment when I do that. How do I check toe in?

I figured the pulling to the left was either trackbar related or something to do with the TC?

The Jeep has been siting for a while (it's a 92 with just 100,000 miles) and I got it for a steal so I was prepared to do some maintenance to get it up to shape.

Update, I got it on a lift at found out that the right brake caliper is partially siezed and I have a bad bushing in the swaybar on the same side. Would this have caused the death wobble? I can see how this would create a huge pull to the left when braking, but wobble?

Back