• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converter Removal w/pics

49erRider

NAXJA Forum User
Just a simple question here but I"m trying to remove my catalytic converter, already got the clamps off and the 02 sensor removed. My only question is how do I get the converter to come out. I should just slide it back and forth to break it loose then just slide it out right? But it has these little stops that I think prevent it from moving.

Let me know. Thanks

DSCN1048.jpg

DSCN1047.jpg

I don't need a gasket do I? Autozone shows a catalytic converter gasket but I can't see where one would go. I do need a new clamp though as one snapped during removal.

Looks like you're gonna have to disconnect the exhaust hangars aft of the cat in order to get the 'slide' clearance you need. Could just cut the old cat in half, but that would only solve the removal side of the equation.

Didn't see any exhaust hangers on it? Looks like both ends of the cat just feed into piping? 2000 XJ

Sawzall, once you cut it out you should be able to slide the new one in.

You may have to loosen hangers father back in the system to get the movement you need to slide everything together.
2000 should be slip fit front and rear so there would be no need for a gasket.

Ok so your saying to just cut a small section off where it meets the muffler? I went ahead and removed all the hangers from the muffler.

What if I just beat the crap out of the front and try to get the whole system from the cat back to try to come out? Then once I get the one side out worry about getting it removed from the muffler?

I thought that the inlet of the cat was bolt on, or was that only for pre-96 XJ's?

Must just be pre 96.

Holy crap I can't get this thing off. And I don't really understand where to cut - for the cutting method.

Just cut out what will be replaced by the new converter, those clamps get on pretty tight and kinda crimp the pipe.

If you cut the converter out you might be able to get in there with a BFH and a screwdriver or something and work it all loose.

Ok I cut off the front section. And now its only connected to the muffler. Now I can't really cut into the muffler though. Thats the problem.

I think one of the problems is where the clamps were, that put a small divit/indent in the pipe and that's preventing it from coming apart and letting the extra pipe out.

If you have access to an air hammer you might be able to open up that 'O' coming out of the muffler end and then get the pipe out. If you're going to re-clamp the new Catalytic Converter on you should be able to squeeze the pipe back on.

It's hard to tell f/the pics, but it looks like those pipes should come apart if you've disconnected the hangers and given slack to the pipe.

Keep working it. BFH and Power Hammers along w/ Sawzall's work wonders on exhaust problems... :)

Use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel. Make a couple of horizontal cuts and you can then pry open with a hammer and chisel or screwdriver. I haven't tried to do this with an angle grinder so don't know if there is room to accomplish the same thing without cutting into the underlying pipe/muffler.

Well I know if you have an air-hammer that will work. Not sure if there is a specific tool you can use to 'swell' open the pipe a bit. Could be that taking your jeep to a trusted muffler shop might be worth the headache to get them to do the install. Shouldn't take a good shop more than a few minutes to swap them out.

Use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel. Make a couple of horizontal cuts and you can then pry open with a hammer and chisel or screwdriver. I haven't tried to do this with an angle grinder so don't know if there is room to accomplish the same thing without cutting into the underlying pipe/muffler.

x2 I had to do the same thing on mine (I used a die grinder with a 3" cutting wheel though). I think the problem is they overtightened the clamp at the factory so it dented the pipes making a groove thats holding them together

Well its all done. Kind of.

Got everything back on but I had forced the CC to far into the muffler and now there is a slight exhaust leak. Nothing that loosening some clamps and a few good whacks with a mallet can't fix though.

Headache.

Back