• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power supply

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
What are you guys doing for power in the backcountry or if needed for repairs?

I need to pick up a new invertor and want to wire in an outlet somewhere. Are there better brands or methods to wiring a system in?

Heres an idea i have. Mount an invertor in the pass side rear cubby hole with an outlet along side. Now i could also mount a waterproof outlet on pass side outer rear 1/4 panel behind a dummy fuel door in the event i want power outside. Has anyone made a hinged door in this cubby hole?

Would i need a dual battery system? The idea for an outside outlet would be if i needed to run a drill, grinder or the like on the road or in the backcountry for a repair.

Other uses would be for a future fridge, laptop, blender etc. Having the option of running a fan in the RTT in warmer temps is desirable also.

For a inverter Xantrex http://www.xantrex.com/products.asp would be my recommendation. They have many models including inverters with chargers for connecting a Solar panel up. As far as outside/weather resistant outlets maybe Home Depot would have something including the possibility of hinged door cover for access.

I'v read of that brand in the past. I'll look into them, thanks.

I'm thinking a 1500 would cover all the intended uses?

Would have to check the power rating on a few tools but I would think a 1500 could power most drills, electric impacts, and toaster ovens. Better consider the dual bats for a 1500 and it will need airflow (possibly supplemental). You got me thinking on this set up now, inverter is a great idea for that space behind the right rear panel.

John, I use a 1400 watt inverter hard wired into the rear of mine. I will have to snap a few pics for you. I mostly use it for powering my laptop when up in the tent watching movies, but I have had to use with a 4 inch grinder to cut off an old munched up exhaust pipe while wheeling. Was a whole lot better than a hacksaw!! The wattage you are referring to will be PLENTY of power for most things.

~James

Would have to check the power rating on a few tools but I would think a 1500 could power most drills, electric impacts, and toaster ovens. Better consider the dual bats for a 1500 and it will need airflow (possibly supplemental). You got me thinking on this set up now, inverter is a great idea for that space behind the right rear panel.

You dont need dual batteries. THe locksmith at my work runs a 3000 watt invertor and only runs one battery.

You dont need dual batteries. THe locksmith at my work runs a 3000 watt invertor and only runs one battery.

For how long would be the question here. I am going under the assumption that it's use would mainly be in the American Outback where most travel is at a low speed and alternator RPM for charging. Having dual batteries is almost a necessity before the addition of 1500 watt inverter in the first place. After camping in the same location for a few days I think the extra battery would prove it's value and open up the use of the inverter to also make it a value to have. Thats why I suggest the dual bat's.

I'm not too bright when it comes to electrical, volts/amps etc.

Can someone explain what 'pure sine" and "modified sine" mean, and their differences?

http://www.cobra.com/products/power-inverters/cpi-1575-1500-watt-power-inverter
I run this in my XJ and with an extension cord you can reach anywhere and not have to worry about a waterproof plug on the exterior.

What is the difference between Modified Sine & Pure Sine Wave Inverters?

Modified Sine Wave

If your equipment can accept some voltage fluctuation, consider a modified sine wave inverter. These inverters provide mobile power at a more affordable price and come in a full range of sizes.

Pure Sine Wave

If you want to run your equipment exactly to the manufacturer’s specifications, choose a true sine wave inverter. With true sine wave, motor loads start easier and run cooler. Some equipment only operate properly with true sine wave power—laser printers, variable speed motors and digital clocks.

http://www.cobra.com/products/power-inverters/cpi-1575-1500-watt-power-inverter
I run this in my XJ and with an extension cord you can reach anywhere and not have to worry about a waterproof plug on the exterior.

What is the difference between Modified Sine & Pure Sine Wave Inverters?

Modified Sine Wave

If your equipment can accept some voltage fluctuation, consider a modified sine wave inverter. These inverters provide mobile power at a more affordable price and come in a full range of sizes.

Pure Sine Wave

If you want to run your equipment exactly to the manufacturer’s specifications, choose a true sine wave inverter. With true sine wave, motor loads start easier and run cooler. Some equipment only operate properly with true sine wave power—laser printers, variable speed motors and digital clocks.

That Cobra is one of the units i'v been looking at. You can get it on ebay for 1/2 that price.

Thanks for that info on the difference. Using it to run tools and laptop should be fine with a modified sine it appears.

Back